• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Wheel Drive while waiting for new driveshaft

XJWheelie

NAXJA Forum User
I'm putting in a SYE and until I get the funds for a drive shaft (about 1 month) can I run it daily as a front wheel drive? Any thoughts or problems encountered by people that have done this?

Thanks,
Robert

I've done it for a day or 2, but it gets old in a BIG hurry. Mine torque steers and bunny hops in corners like nobody's business.

I think you'd be better off to wait on installing the SYE until you can buy the driveshaft. Unless you've got other issues, like the current d/s not being long enough (which is the result of putting on a lift too early.)

haha i was just about to post about doint just what your talking about i ordered a sye and DS from High angle driveline and needed to get the sye in to get the correct mesurements. i have a locker in the front so it is REALLY exciting to drive in front wheel dirive when i get on the gass it lurches to the right when i let off i goes to the left i plan on runnin this way till my DS comes at the end of the week. it can be done just rember to take it easy especially if you have a locker. rember you power is going thru your t-case gears thru a chain and then to the front axle which in not designed to carry the full load of the vehicle. just take it slow and you'll be fine just rember to drive like you are only on a front DS no quick starts or hard acceleration drive like ms dazy

You will be fine. I ran with only the front for 3 weeks when I was waiting for my driveshaft. I took out the lockrite because the torque steer with the locker in front was almost too much to handle. With the open diff daily driving was ok.

As for taking it easy, drive it like normal. I abused mine with only Fwd and nothing broke. I could smoke the tire all the way through second gear and chirp into third with the manual tranny. It was rather fun:D I was replacing the front axle anyways and I had a spare t-case sitting in the garage so I figured lets beat on it and see what breaks but nothing did:viking:

Aaron

I have to agree with MrShoeBoy on this, I drove mine over 600 miles in front wheel drive on 33's to and from college (I go to school in New York but live in Maryland). It drove fine even at 80+ mph for 6 hours straight. I dont have any tools at college with me so I cant put my SYE in until thanksgiving

Back