• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Occasional grinding while in 4Hi/4Lo

Idiot Wind

NAXJA Forum User
2000 XJ
231 T-case
bone stock

Hello, My problem starts once I engage 4hi or 4lo. It appears to engage fine, but more often than not, I get a horrible uncomfortable grinding sound coming from the front once I start driving. It also appears to occur at a much greater rate while turning. Driving straight ahead the grinding didn't happen nearly as often. In the one spot I needed 4lo, it did engage, a very quick grind once I started up the hill, it went away the next second.

After attempting to pinpoint this issue greater, now while breaking, I get a nice little 'thump thump thump' coming from the driver side front. One too many attempts?

Obviously this is all rather new to me, so any information you could provide would be a great help.

Thank you.

thought I would throw out an update.

Broken Rear output shaft Snap Ring.

Interesting enough, took it to one shop and they wanted to charge me for a full T-case rebuild as well as new bearings (pinion and forgot what else) for the front differential. Claims there were metal shavings in the diff. They determined this off a test drive :rolleyes: The charge for both of these was going to be $2800. bye.

Took it to another, the Snap Ring appears to be the only problem, out the door with a $400 bill. The front end noise was totally unrelated. One of my new 'turned' rotors that was all of 1 hour old went south due to poor workmanship. good lord.

Can't wait until this is not a DD.

Back