• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Convert to Manual steering

90BigBlueXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a cracked power steering pump and was thinking of converting to a manual steering setup...(for future long term part $$ reductions). The rebuilt Power steering pump with res is about the same as a rebuilt manual steering box so this challenged me to thinking about converting over to a manual gear box. I have had a couple of older trucks in the past that were manual steering and they had 30 inch tires. The Jeep runs 32's and was just wondering about how others out there feel about manual steering and tires of that size. I do not do alot of rock crawling that calls for quick steering responce, I do mostly trail riding on sandy and clay mud. Alot of times I am on extended trips and have always built things up to reduce the chances of breakage. Any thoughts/advice would be helpful in making this choice.

Thanks
Steve

Auto Zone's lifetime warranty is worthless if it breaks when you're 100 miles from anything and 300 miles from the nearest Auto Zone. I sympathize wuth the "less to break" approach. I always ran quick ratio manual steering in my autocross and hill climb cars, even if I had to convert them from power to get there.

I dunno about manual steering and 32s, though. I think you would want to get a manual box with a slow ratio, like a 20:1 or maybe even a 24:1. You wouldn't have great straight line steering response, but it would make it a lot easier to turn those big tires.

My XJ came with manual steering. Even with 31's, it sucked in the rocks. That was one of my first projects. A manual steering setup is an easy way to break a wrist comming off a ledge or while getting tippy.

I had a friend with a YJ and 33s and manual steering. After watching him get blisters on his hands from just running an easy trail I don't know if I would do that or not. Up to you but he always had to wear leather gloves to keep his hands in good shape.

Back