• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adjustable Track Bar....

Royce

NAXJA Forum User
I had to get the frame mounted bolt melted out yesterday at a shop, I tryed....couldn't get it. Now the thing is... I am gonna save the $ and put the new bar on myself. I got the jeep towed to the shop because I thought I wouldn't be able to steer without that thing. Now the guy at the shop tells me i can drive with out it across town to my friends to finish the work. Is this right? Didn't sound right to me and I have never tryed it. I gotta go about 2 miles. Will anyhtign get messed up? Thanx guys. Probably sounds like a dumb ? huh. haha.

You definately need the track bar mounted to drive around on. Just for grins, fire up your rig WHILE PARKED, and turn the steering wheel back and forth while it's sitting there....see what happens... ;)

Could be an interesting experiment to experience first hand the characteristics of a failed track bar.....go on....be brave....:D :D :D :D :D

I'm goin for it! as far as my understanding is... and it isnt much since I am a computer nerd by profession.... no tie rod is a definete no, but the track bar just stabilizes lateral (side to side) movement... I'll taker easy and run with the flashers. I'll post later... and let everyone knwo if its possible lol.

Royce,

DON'T DO IT!

If you plan on going over idle speed across a driveway, it's not worth messing something else up on the suspension or crashing. The XJ will be unstable and will stress out lots of parts. Pay the money or find a REAL close parking lot to do it.

mark
orgs mfg

dont do it. i had the track bar fall off at the frame mount and nearly killed myself. it was the first time i experienced DW. i was going 45mph and hit a bump, it nearly through the jeep into on coming traffic.

Obviously not a good idea to try.
Since you only have a couple of miles, why not bang the new bar in there without worrying too much about adjustment and torque it up nice and tight. At least it will hold the axle in place for the short trip without worries about endangering you, the Jeep or others. Should only take you a couple of minutes to connect it up. Better than no bar at all...

DON'T TRY IT!

Yeah, one more vote. Without the track bar, there is NOTHING to keep the axle and suspension located under the front of the Jeep. When you turn the steering wheel, instead of turning the front wheels you will only be shoving the body sideways over the axle. I cannot believe that anybody in any shop, regardless of how crappy their work is, would allow you to drive off their lot with no track bar. I wouldn't let you back it out of the garage that way.

What are you thinking do not drive your jeep 1 foot without your trackbar!!!!!!!! Not trying to be harsh it is just that you could kill yourself or others if you lost control of your jeep not to mention mess up some suspention components. I had to drive about 1/4 mile when the frame end bolt on my skywhacker adjustable death bar broke If I was going 60 mph I think that my outcome would have been much different. I was merging onto the highway and could feel something wasn't right. I pulled onto the shoulder of the highway at about 5-10 mph and my front tires were chirping because the front was wobbling in all directions. Luckilly I called some friends and we were able to rig a bolt through the heim so I could limp to his house. Please don't do it it is very dangerous.
Later, Eric

I am experiencing trackbar problems .when Iflex or turn the wheels hard one direction I hear a loud pop coming from the frame end of the bar.also some death wobble when i put on the brakes at 40 to 60.I just ordered a new bar from rough country.Does anyone have any experience w this bar?
:piratefla

if the wobbling occurs while on the brakes, your rotors may be warpped. take them to a gas station or something like and see what they, if it is warpped have them sand it down, or buy some new ones.

Etan Miller

I agree with everyone else to a point. If you're a little whako and there's little to no traffic you could do it. Note...you'd have to be not quite sane (even for a four wheeler) to do this. I know it can be safely done though, because I've had friends break their adjustable trackbars on the trail, and drive them over 20 miles to my garage for me to fix. I've never once found any noticeable damage due to the trip, but it deffinitely could occur, and because you're steering is less predictable it is very dangerous. So, now you've heard that yes, it can be done. Should it be done, probably not. Would I do it with my '87 trail beater...yes, I like excuses to fix broken things...on my wife's '96? deffinitely not. Good luck if you drive it. Would be a lot better though to have the shop park it in the street or something, (where you can get to it after hours), and then just throw the new bar in and worry about the length when you get home.

:conceited

Brian Felts said:
I am experiencing trackbar problems .when Iflex or turn the wheels hard one direction I hear a loud pop coming from the frame end of the bar.also some death wobble when i put on the brakes at 40 to 60.I just ordered a new bar from rough country.Does anyone have any experience w this bar?
:piratefla

I had the same POP coming from the frame end. Turns out the bolt wasnt staying put, the bracket that the trackbar bolts to on that end had a crack down the middle. This allowed the bar to slide a little bit back and forth and cause the thunk. I couldnt see it by myself because everything was at rest and the crack was squished together so it didnt look cracked. When I had a friend turn the wheels back and forth while I watched underneath, I saw that the bracket was moving, and the crack became visable.

Had the bracket replaced and same trackbar bolted back on, now its fine.

The hole in your bracket may have elongated a little bit if its been loose, allowing a little back and forth play in the bar causing a thunk when its under torque.

mcetlinski said:
I agree with everyone else to a point. If you're a little whako and there's little to no traffic you could do it. Note...you'd have to be not quite sane (even for a four wheeler) to do this. I know it can be safely done though, because I've had friends break their adjustable trackbars on the trail, and drive them over 20 miles to my garage for me to fix. I've never once found any noticeable damage due to the trip, but it deffinitely could occur, and because you're steering is less predictable it is very dangerous. So, now you've heard that yes, it can be done. Should it be done, probably not. Would I do it with my '87 trail beater...yes, I like excuses to fix broken things...on my wife's '96? deffinitely not. Good luck if you drive it. Would be a lot better though to have the shop park it in the street or something, (where you can get to it after hours), and then just throw the new bar in and worry about the length when you get home.

:conceited
this was 16 months ago, in case no one noticed

Back