• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Burn Me? I want 20" rims on my cherokee!!!

FLAME AWAY!!! I am looking for a set of 20" rims for my cherokee. I want to get 20's then slap some fun-lovin 32"-33" tires on them and keep a set of steelies with offroad tires on hand for play-time. Has anyone seen 20" rims for the cherokee? I plan on putting these tires on after I get my lift in... RE 3.5" or 4.5"...I found the tires, now i just need the rims... I have seen a few for the grands(ZJ) which is the same bolt-pattern, but why are the rims listed for the grands not listed for the XJ's? Thanks for the input... --Chad--

Well, It's actually being built as both a show jeep and for off-road...get it? It's my DD and i drive about 40k a year, so im going to put some nice road tires for when it feels like being a pavement princess, but have the other tires for backup when i actually want to take it offroad. I'm building it up for off-road in every way, but in the end I plan on giving it a set of pretty sneakers!

After i posted this, i actually found a site that had rims for the jeep that i like... now i just have to do some measuring to make sure the offset is okay.... just for spits and giggles, heres some pics of the tires i want for on-road and the rims.
da56.jpg

gforce_kdw_large.jpg

i saw a jeep w/ 20 in'' rims, and i wanted to put the poor thing out of its misery. it looked very out of place, and badly done, in my opinion, because of the low profile tires. now if you wanted to put 33's on a 20'' rim, i dunno, i'd have to see the pics afterwards, then make a decision.....

Kris

90KrawlerXJ said:
Bolt patterns are all the same. Sounds like you need to get your priorites in order. Do you want a street Jeep or a show Jeep?

Correctly done I don't see why ya couldn't have both. As a DD it's not like the XJ is going to stay offroad all the time. It will get some road use. If he wants to go to the effort of changing the tires/rims for the image he wants then fine.

Sarge

I think its crazy...however I also think everyone has the right to do what you want...One thing I would saw however is I hope you have upgraded your brakes. Everything I have ever heard about these new bling bling wheels is they are way heavy. I know that alot of people upgrade brakes on vehicles that already have good brakes and we all know that if there is one area that XJs are not good in its the brakes. I think before I spent the money to look good(your opinion) I would spend the money to at least make it safe...So you don't kill yourself or someone else.

go for it and post some pics, as long as its lifted i think it will look good. others that see it and dont know what your doing with it might not like it so much, i know i wouldnt. but hurry up and get them and show some pics

Extremely heavy. A friend of mine was putting 23" rims on his Mitsu Montero. Mind you with rims this big there is very little rubber and air (unless you're putting on 44s duh), so all the weight is in the rim. It took 4 guys to lift and mount the tires/rims on the car. So yeah, you might want to put some huge ass discs inside those rims since you'll have all the space you want. And I'd also regear if you haven't, since the added weight will drag ass.

DrMoab said:
I think its crazy...however I also think everyone has the right to do what you want...One thing I would saw however is I hope you have upgraded your brakes. Everything I have ever heard about these new bling bling wheels is they are way heavy. I know that alot of people upgrade brakes on vehicles that already have good brakes and we all know that if there is one area that XJs are not good in its the brakes. I think before I spent the money to look good(your opinion) I would spend the money to at least make it safe...So you don't kill yourself or someone else.

As a huge street jeeper, I don't think I would even go with 20's. I believe 17" or 18" is my limit, but thats not to say that you can't do whatever you would like with your money. I would be curious to see what they would look like. I have only seen one XJ with 20's and it was on CarDomain before he sold it. He had 20" Moda R7's and I actually thought it looked good, but thats becuase he had about a 3" lift and the design of the rims were just a plain, simple 5-spoke design. IMHO, there are too many "out-there" designs for 20's...

Do you live where snow is a factor? If you are, I would wait to put them on so you do not ruin them.

Whatever you do, good luck and post pics after.

531553_4_full.jpg

531553_8_full.jpg

531553_13_full.jpg

you got about the same idea that i do for my jeep....i just put a 4.5in lift on it....and was looking at having 2 sets of tires and rims....i went to a local rim shop and they had this cool little computer deal where you can select your vehicle, it's color, amount of lift or drop, and tire size (up to 44s) and then you could pick the rim type you wanted from a list it provided with rims that will fit your vehicle and see what it all looks like, wheels still and in motion...
needless to say, i did play around with the pictures of the jeep to see what it would look like, hehe..dropping it down 4 inches with big rims....to raising it onto 44s with 28" rims, or little 10" rims......anyways...
i've seen lots of pictures of jeeps on big rims...i think the winner was 20" 100 spoke rims....lol...that was sumthin...most were on Car Domain, but don't remember all the links now...
very few of the ones that i have seen looked pretty decent....the whole low profile tire design just doesn't work well with the jeep body....and it's kinda hard to find a set of simple spoke rims that look good, once you go over 18-19"...well it was for me....they were either TOO much....or not enough....
right now i'm kinda set on 22's in 31s or 32s....got my eye set on Ion Alloy's rims...they have a lot of good looking rims that aren't too wild...Type 188 is what i got my eye on right now...
http://customwheel.com/custom_wheels/images/188 F.jpg
and for looking for rims that will fit jeep...i do believe the lug spacing for the jeep is 4.5....

btw...Ghetto2315, looks real nice...i like the way your setup looks....those other 2 matching black jeeps in the background yours too??

now i want to ask a question......what are possible methods of upgrading brakes?? i've been really wanting to do this anyways........with the way this rig gets thrown around on the street....*grins* i don't really want to have to swap rear axles out to get rear discs, and i know it's not going to be easy at all to do a rear disc conversion on the D35.....but, right now still on stock rims....what upgrades can i do???

Last edited:
I don't like the lifted and big wheels look personaly. I think a nice 17" or 18" wheel works with the xj much better. I think it's a cool idea and it will ride beter than my dd on 36" tsl's. I would just like to stress that you will need to uprgarde your brakes at least go with rear disks, and make sure you have enough sidewall in the tires. You will aslo need lower gears than someone running 33's on a 15" rim. I would suggest 4.88's because of the huge amount of unspung weight you will be adding, it will also help you scrub off spead.

Here's the plan... This project will likely take into the end of next summer. I am starting off with the lift components and hopefully a set of KJ discs for my 8.25. I think im going back with the RE6130 4.5" lift, once i get those things in(sye,shocks, andd all the other crap that comes with it) Then slap in some 4.56's and I can start focussing towards the rims. I originally posted becasue i couldn't find rims for the cherokee, or atleast not a selection... then i found www.discountedwheelwarehouse.com they had 285 rims in 20" that fit the 5 on 4.5 pattern, then it's just figuring out the backspacing i want. So, I am looking for a rim that is light as possible, the ones i really like are about 18lbs a piece, which is damn light for a 20"(not the ones i posted) but the rims are also about $850 each. SO, coming back to the project... the rims will be the last thing that I buy, including body armour... the xj's gonna get full belly protection before it gets sparkly rims.
For those of you who oppose my ideas, a brief explanation. I am the lead installer of a custom mobile electronics and performance parts shop in Malden, Massachusetts. The flashier my jeep is, the more attention I get, the more people see my setup and come buy stuff, and the fatter my wallet becomes due to my partnership with the owner. I plan on building up my jeep as a retarded offroading XJ, then slapping big pretty rims on it. So in your eye... I have a set of 15" steel rims with 32" on them and my jeep looks nice, but the exact setup but with the rims and tires swapped out makes me confused? Honestly... when it comes down to it, the rims will probably get put off in order to help foot the bill on a stroker that i would like to do... I like the thought of having a big nasty jeep with big nasty rims also... something that no one else around here has, I like being different from other people and I like the attention. --Chad--

BTW-Ghetto2315... I really like the way your jeep looks

JeepinAudiophile said:
FLAME AWAY!!! I am looking for a set of 20" rims for my cherokee.

Consider yourself well toasted Chad. ;) I think you'd have to be stark raving bonkers to put dubs on an XJ. I think 5-spoke 17" rims with 60 profile tires would look just about right; 18" rims would be really stretching it.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I've seen, they've started making MT classic II's in 18's and 20's...set the 18's up on a set of 33's and you'll be blingin with the best of em.

Back