• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

newb question... 3.5 RE lift w/33's?

RJJR

NAXJA Forum User
Well i just got my xj a couple of months ago and now i need it to be a little more capable offroad. Its a 96' with 177K miles 4 cyl manual trans, and still runs strong. Mostly all highway miles. I've been researching and reading posts on this forum quite a bit.
What Im thinking is a 3.5 rubicon express superride kit with the AAL. Black rockkrawler wheels with mickey thompson 33" baja claw radials. I do plan on removing the fender flares completely, and cutting the fenders. After doing some reasearch, i have found that the bajaclaws measure up to be 32.2 in (or somthing like that), so I think these will fit fine.
I went to the local junkyard yesterday and got a pair of like new leaf springs for 45 bucks, so i think these will make for good donors for the AAL.
I drive my jeep 50% on road and 50% off road, since it is not my primary transportation.
So my main questions are...

* What backspacing will I need on the wheels that will look/perform the best offroad?

*At this height, will I need a SYE, axle shims, or something for driveline vibes?

*The rubicon express kit doesnt come with track bar relocation mounts. Will I need to get these or and adjustable track bar?

Do a search..... You will find your answers. As far as the baja claws they suck bro get MTR's or BFG's. I would get new leaf packs from RE its worth it. 4x4groupbuy has a good deal on the kit with leafs, if you can swing it I would do the 4.5 superflex if I was you. SYE at 3.5 you should be fine with the t-case drop do that first if you feel vibes than you may need to go SYE.... But 3.5 and 33's you will need to do some trimming I had to trim a decent amount with my 5.5 RE kit and 33's so much so I just hacked the fenders and went 35's.......

Is it even worth lifting a 4 cyl xj? or should i just sell it and look for a 4.0? Anyone out there have driability issues on a lifted 4 banger? Your oppinions would be greatly appreciated.

Dude 4 bangers rock

RJJR said:
Is it even worth lifting a 4 cyl xj? or should i just sell it and look for a 4.0? Anyone out there have driability issues on a lifted 4 banger? Your oppinions would be greatly appreciated.

Say it with me...

Gear Reduction

I have a 4.0 also

Los11 said:
Do a search..... You will find your answers. As far as the baja claws they suck bro get MTR's or BFG's. I would get new leaf packs from RE its worth it. 4x4groupbuy has a good deal on the kit with leafs, if you can swing it I would do the 4.5 superflex if I was you. SYE at 3.5 you should be fine with the t-case drop do that first if you feel vibes than you may need to go SYE.... But 3.5 and 33's you will need to do some trimming I had to trim a decent amount with my 5.5 RE kit and 33's so much so I just hacked the fenders and went 35's.......
Gotta disagree on the Mickey T. opinion, I have baja claws on mine and they work in everything , mud , rock, sand. Great tread life as well. Some complain they're too loud, used to run superswampers and they're much more quiet than them. If you're looking for a quiet off road tire you should be looking for a new hobby.

SteelblueSteve said:
Gotta disagree on the Mickey T. opinion, I have baja claws on mine and they work in everything , mud , rock, sand. Great tread life as well. Some complain they're too loud, used to run superswampers and they're much more quiet than them.

If you're looking for a quiet off road tire you should be looking for a new hobby.

Well I had a set and they lasted a whole 10,000 miles before they turned into drag slicks..... On the rocks they suck bro, Mud and Sand not my thing so wouldnt know.

Bro I run 35 MTR's the last thing I care about is road noise

with tire size and cuting the body it also has a lot to do with tire width.. a friend of mine has the same lift i do (5" front 5" rear) i run 33x12.50s and he runs 33x10.50s... i had to cut my fenders really high because they were mashing my fenders when i stuffed them up inside... my friend's dont touch the outer fender at all... a legit 3.5" lift will not give enough room for a 33x12.50... you need to decide if you want a 3.5" lift OR 33x12.50 'claws.... both will require quite a bit of body cutting... front i dont care about but the rear i dont want to cut(and almost need to with this setup) i deal with a lil non-destructive rubing...
as far as the 4 popper goes.. 4.88s with 33s will be a good combination... since you are thinking a "home brew" lift i wonder if you are prepared for the aditional expence of regearing the axles so you have a capable rig.. if you dont regear you will not be happy with the total package....

as said before.... gear reduction is where its at....

sidriptide said:
a legit 3.5" lift will not give enough room for a 33x12.50... you need to decide if you want a 3.5" lift OR 33x12.50 'claws

Theres a picture here
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=33424&highlight=fender+cutting
from a post a few days ago, which I believe is a 3.5 RE w/33's and a 3/4" poly spacer

I know ill be cutting quite a bit but im ok with that.

Regearing wont be a problem, and i think 4.88's sound right

Ill probably not use the jeep on the rocks that much, if not at all. About 50% dirt and mud, and about 50% street

Any more oppinions on the mickey's in comparison to the MTR's or TSL's?

yah i dont know about the 3.5 and 33's. i have a 4.5 and 33's and i did some major fender trimming. it looks nice and all now but i think u might have to do a lot with the 3.5. but like u said if they measure up to 32.? it should be better. definatly look to add that spacer in the front it should level the rear end out a litte bit because mine still sit a bit higher. good luck.

I too have HEARD bad things about Claws. However, if you like the Claw pattern, you should look into the new Maxxis Mudzillas. The sidewall has BIG tread on 2/3 of the area. They are less expensive and have them in 33x13.50. Kid4lyf runs them. In Moab we were all THOROUGHLY impressed by the traction they provided him in every situation he put them in.

Hey those mudzillas are a real sharp lookin tire, i like them better than the claws! i didnt know maxxis made light truck tires, i thought they only mad dirt bike and atv tires.
Did a quick search on the mudzillas and i couldnt find if they are radial or not. Would radials make that much of a difference, on a weekend toy like my jeep.

So my question is Radials or not.

Thanks for all the help!

AFAIK, the Mudzillas are a radial tire.

Here's kid4lyf making it up Dump Bump:

img_1574.med.jpg

Back