• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thanks to all, did my rear end oil change..have some more ?'s

tcm glx

NAXJA Member #1033
First of all thanks to all, oil change has been done, no problems at all with the actual oil change, did however have a few problems. My gear, not sure if the ring or the pinion (the big one) has a few small chips in two of the gears. Not sure how this happened, have only put about 550 miles on the rear end since the gears were put in, also i could not for the life of me find the missing chunks inside the rear end......what gives????

Just curious...why did you feel the need to change the gear oil after only 550 miles?

Anyways, run your fingers through the old gear oil. The metal chunks probably came out when you drained the diff.

The ring is the round thing that looks like...a ring. The pinion is the part with the shaft that connects to the yoke.

xjohnnyc said:
Just curious...why did you feel the need to change the gear oil after only 550 miles?

Anyways, run your fingers through the old gear oil. The metal chunks probably came out when you drained the diff.

The ring is the round thing that looks like...a ring. The pinion is the part with the shaft that connects to the yoke.
Your supposed to change the oil after 500 miles when breaking in new gears. I assume that is why he was changing the oil.

BornAgainXJer said:
Your supposed to change the oil after 500 miles when breaking in new gears. I assume that is why he was changing the oil.

OK...good to know. :D "Cause I'll be re-gearing soon...hopefully.

I would take the vehicle back to whoever did your gear setup and make them replace the gears. There should be NO missing chips or pieces.

Tom's advice is generally pretty good, although I'd add a caveat here. If you've got 4.56 gears in a Chrysler 8.25, the tip of a tooth (or two) will need to be ground down slightly to get the cross pin back into the carrier. And that should be an obvious grind, not a chip.

do the gear sets come like that though? i thought people did that themselves for ease

Back