• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'01 door panel removal

Slip Kid

That'll buff right out
Anyone know how to remove the interior door panel on an '01? My dad's front speakers are blown or otherwise dont work and I need to get back there to check. I know on the older model's I've worked on ('87,'93) they're just plastic barbed plugs that pop off but on the '01 I see a screw and then nothing, I'm asuming that the rest is clipped on like the old models? I just want to make sure before I try and pry off the panel on his new Jeep.

There should be more than 1 screw, there should be a screw in the upper corner closest to the dash, and then there should be one in the armrest area, and another one in the door latch bucket, where you pull the lever to open the door. Then the panel is still attached with several clips (Plastic barbed plugs) that will need to be popped open. There is a special tool to remove these, it is not essential, but greatly reduces the risk of you cracking the panel, or breaking the mounts that hold the clips. If you do not have one of these tools you can try a screw driver, just be sure to work carefully. If the speakers don't work, the most common reason is that the wire running to the speaker breaks internally in the harness where the door pivots. That wire is so tight when the door is closed you could play it like a guitar. Although it is more common to have only 1 speaker at a time go than to have both go at the same time, but its just something to check if you get stumped.

Back