• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone have experience w/ RE?

JeepXJ93

NAXJA Forum User
i noticed that first off they have 2 diff 3" lift kits...super-ride and super-flex...it looks like the same exact kit...anyone know a difference aside from the name and the way it supposedly rides diff.? Also, they advertise it as 3.5" lift kit....compare this to rusty's "3"" lift kit...does the RE lift kit advertised for "3.5" actually give me an extra 1/2 an inch...if you guys have read all my other posts you'll know already that ANYTHING above a regular 3" for me will be more than enough thats why i'm asking..i'll spend the extra money on the RE kit if its a good kit and will really benefit w/ that 1/2" as opposed to rusty's. Thanks for any info.

JeepXJ93 said:
i noticed that first off they have 2 diff 3" lift kits...super-ride and super-flex...it looks like the same exact kit...anyone know a difference aside from the name and the way it supposedly rides diff.? Also, they advertise it as 3.5" lift kit....compare this to rusty's "3"" lift kit...does the RE lift kit advertised for "3.5" actually give me an extra 1/2 an inch...if you guys have read all my other posts you'll know already that ANYTHING above a regular 3" for me will be more than enough thats why i'm asking..i'll spend the extra money on the RE kit if its a good kit and will really benefit w/ that 1/2" as opposed to rusty's. Thanks for any info.
It will be worth it to spend the extra money on the RE kit if for nothing else then to stay away from Rustys junk. Not trying to offend anyone here. I just have seen him pull some really crappy things.
The RE super flex kit has a Johnny joint in one end of the lower control arm and a rubber end at the other...The super ride kit has rubber in both ends. As far as I know thats the big diff. As far as which one to get I read somewhere that they ramped them both and came out the same with either arm so I guess its all where you want to put your money.

They actually offer more than two,the full-spring pack(s) will deliver 4-4.5" depending on your vehicle weight.The Super-Flex kits use "spherical bearings" instead of rubber bushings,a "must" for non-binding flex!

Ok so the superflex kits are better...i'm deffinatly NOT going to do any of the AAL crap...full spring packs all the way...anyone have any input on the lift height? I did rusty's 3" full leaf pack kit on my current jeep..are you tellin me that the actual lift is 4-4.5"!? So this 3.5RE kit will get me more than four inches too??? Reason i'm asking is b/c i was trying to stay away from 4.5" kits so i dont have to worry about doing all the ridiculous steering conversions and all that...i think b/c i'm getting a newer xj i'm going to do a SYE and new D/S anyways...but that was gonna be it.

the main difference between the two kits is the control arms... the super-ride has rubber bushings on each end.. the super-flex has a flex-joint on one end.... another difference is the availability of full leaf packs or an add-a-leaf to tailor it to your budget.... i have the AAL kit in my 99 and i like it... it rides a little harder until i load it down and compress the springs a bit.. it initially gave me 4.5" in the rear but after the last year it has settled to just under 3".. i added it to a tired sagging stock leaf pack so that didnt help... i like the ride height now and the 30s look just right but 31s would fit too...
its a very good kit in my opinion.. makes the XJ look as it should have from the factory

sidriptide said:
the main difference between the two kits is the control arms... the super-ride has rubber bushings on each end.. the super-flex has a flex-joint on one end.... another difference is the availability of full leaf packs or an add-a-leaf to tailor it to your budget.... i have the AAL kit in my 99 and i like it... it rides a little harder until i load it down and compress the springs a bit.. it initially gave me 4.5" in the rear but after the last year it has settled to just under 3".. i added it to a tired sagging stock leaf pack so that didnt help... i like the ride height now and the 30s look just right but 31s would fit too...
its a very good kit in my opinion.. makes the XJ look as it should have from the factory

So if you could do it again and had a little extra cash you woulda gone w/ a replacement leaf pack right??

JeepXJ93 said:
Ok so the superflex kits are better...i'm deffinatly NOT going to do any of the AAL crap...full spring packs all the way...anyone have any input on the lift height? I did rusty's 3" full leaf pack kit on my current jeep..are you tellin me that the actual lift is 4-4.5"!? So this 3.5RE kit will get me more than four inches too??? Reason i'm asking is b/c i was trying to stay away from 4.5" kits so i dont have to worry about doing all the ridiculous steering conversions and all that...i think b/c i'm getting a newer xj i'm going to do a SYE and new D/S anyways...but that was gonna be it.

The only thing to add to the RE 3.5" kit would be an adjustable trackbar, not anything as far as "ridiculous steering conversions". You are getting a SYE/CV driveshaft, so that is good. I would recommend upgrading to JKS disconnects and getting the JKS adjustable trackbar. The JKS trackbar is expensive, but well worth it. Don't get a cheap trackbar, because they are junk. I also recommend Old Man Emu Long Travel shocks for incredible ride quality, and a 3/4" spacer to even out the front with the rear. When you do the RE 3.5" SF kit with leaf packs, the rear will sit about 4.5-5.5" right off the bat, and the RE springs don't sag very quick or easily. Here are a couple XJ's that a buddy and I worked on a few months ago with the same setup I just suggested with trimmed fenders and 33" tires. Both XJ's were sitting 5" front and 5.5" rear with the 3.5" kit with 3/4" spacers in the front.

Before:
GCXJ1.JPG

After:
100_0328.jpg

The other XJ:
100_0707.jpg

100_0701.jpg

I highly recommend the RE kit, especially with the upgrades. For the money, you get a sweet riding setup that looks great and gives more lift. No fancy steering modifications are needed.

JeepXJ93 said:
So if you could do it again and had a little extra cash you woulda gone w/ a replacement leaf pack right??
i would use the leaf pack.. and a 3/4 spacer on the coils too.. i used terraflex 3" coils in the front and they have settled to 2.5"....
heres how it sat when i first put it in.. it looks a lil lower in the rear but thats 400## of Moab tools/parts/camping junk in the back... it was a$$-high for a while...

standard

The RE kits will usually give you a bit more lift than advertised I am running the 4.5 kit and have no special steering setup. I bought an adjustable trackbar to center the axle and thats it. There is also nothing really wrong with the RE full length AAL. Its a full leaf, I have one and ts rides fine, no sagging, and it doesnt ride harsh, Its those damn short AAL small little leaves that suck. RE is the way to go, combine any of thier kits with some nice OME shocks and it will ride nice

Cool, sounds like i'm going to go w/ the 3.5" super flex full leaf kit. Anyone running 32"s w/out trimming? Aside from OME shocks and a track bar what else would i need other than an SYE and D/S? Brake lines...extended sway bar links...etc etc...?? Thanks for all the info.

Im not positive but I am assuming you can fit 32's w/o trimming. my 31's are beginning to look smaller and smaller on that same lift everyday.

crookedxj said:
Im not positive but I am assuming you can fit 32's w/o trimming. my 31's are beginning to look smaller and smaller on that same lift everyday.

LOL and when i first did my lift i rode w/ the stockers on for a bit...imagine putting stock tires back on again.

JeepXJ93 said:

Heck, if couldv'e done it all over again, with what I know now, I would definitely go for the SuperFlex (w/ full leaf packs).

I've done two of these lift kits on my daughters' XJs, a 1997 and 2001. They both ride quite well with the 1997 with high front pinion riding better. Go with the spring pack. We have run 32s quite well with no trimming on stock rims due to the backspacing. Also had no need for a rear SYE. AS you can see from the photos it performs very well. Danno

XJULIE's 2001 on Moab Rim

3J_Moab_Rim-med.jpg

Julie on White Knuckle Hill

3J_White_Knuckle_Hill-med.jpg

High Dive

3J_High_Dive-med.jpg

Wow, i wish i had trails like that here on the coast of CT lol....so those are 32's on that XJ?

DBenz said:
Where exactly do you measure to get how high the vehicle has actually been lifted?
Stock measurement consensus seems to be 17.5" on the front and 17" on the rear. Measurements are taken from center of wheel hub to bottom of fender flare. Measure the distance and subtract the above numbers to see how much actual lift you have. I don't know how to check on vehicles with flares removed/cut.

Back