• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Welding D30 (Disco)

BrentNClemson

NAXJA Forum User
I have a disconnect D30 in my 91 XJ w/ some Disco 297 shafts from a YJ. I'm planning on welding the spider gears and either making (probably) or buying some sort of posi-lok or vacuum switch. I know people have done this before as a cheap selectable locker...but is there any reason I shouldn't? If I didn't I'd buy a Lock Right, but welding would be much cheaper...thanks!

By the way, I'm running 35's and a lot more on the street than the trails these days...

well, since you live in the south and never have to drive in snow, it's doable. I'ts a cheap way to have a locker.

i have a friend who's lockright doesn't work so that essentially it's a spool. he routed the vacuum lines in the cab so he can do the disco manually. It works great and with 35s he hasn't broke any 297x shafts. He also puts a lot of street miles on it, no problems there either, but your front driveshaft will be spinning in 2wd if you do this, so it better be balanced.

Great, thanks for the replies! I currently have the passenger side shaft locked in permanently and have been spinning the front DS for a while now, so that should be good...thanks!

-Brent

Out west in the rocks, we won't run with you if we know you have welded spiders in a D30.

Don't be so cheap, just buy the locker. It doesn't take many busted parts to equal or exceed the cost of a Lockright.

I have to go with Goatman on this one. if you weld up the spider gears be sure to have a buddy to bring a trailer so you can load it up when you blow the diff out from under your jeep. Later...Clint

Goatman said:
Out west in the rocks, we won't run with you if we know you have welded spiders in a D30.

Don't be so cheap, just buy the locker. It doesn't take many busted parts to equal or exceed the cost of a Lockright.
that's a good point, and I did take note of his location when I replied. My buddy that is running this way is also out east, PA to be exact. He's beat his pretty hard, and the only time he has broken anything up front was when he tried to tractor pull against a stock (v8) explorer, he blew both 297 joints and the rear D44 joke all at the same time :rolleyes:

I have a friend I wheel with who has this. And it seems just about every time we go out he breaks a front axle.

Back