• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blower not working

HEKULIINI

NAXJA Forum User
Hello!

I have a small but very annoying problem with my heater blower. When temperature get's under 0°C in the mornings, it doesn't run, but at lunch time it works (temperature has come over 0°C). Is there something that could be temperature related? A relay? It's very difficult to drive with frozen windshield...

Jeep Cherokee 90 ltd 4.0l

The lubricant in the blower motor is too old and dry. It doesn't provide enough lubrication when the temperature is very cold.

The blower motor is located under the hood on the passenger side, in the location on the firewall where the passenger's feet would be. It can be removed from under the hood by removing the three nuts holding it in place. The blower motor is supposed to be permanently lubricated. A long time ago I read a report by someone who renewed the motor by drilling a small hole in the little "nipple" on the end of the motor housing where the shaft rotates, putting a few drops of light machine (sewing machine) oil into the hole, and then he covered the hole with tape. Perhaps also dropping a few drops of oil onto the other end of the shaft, between the impeller and the motor housing, would allow some oil to reach the bushing on that end of the shaft.

This may not work, and if it doesn't you will have to replace the motor. But ... this repair doesn't cost any money, only an hour of your time, so it would be a good first attempt. The blower motors are not inexpensive.

I believe I'll be doing this evolution this weekend - my blower motor started howling intermittently a month or so ago and it became almost constant a week or so ago...I scared Elk at Rocky Mtn National Park with it this week...:p

I'll try to grab a few photos of the process.

The oiling procedure was sucessfully carried out on my "new" 96 when I got it 2 months ago. Both ends definetly need lubing. Also it's worth the time finding good oil for it. Sewing machine or gun oil would both be good. I used "Light Spindle" oil for my lathe on mine when I noticed the howl. If not attended to the thermo fuse on the resister will open then you'll need that also. I used a small screw on the hole I drilled in the end.

JoBo

Back