• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which atlas II?

poomba

NAXJA Forum User
Kay, looking at Moab/rubicon type rock bouncing...soo..which of the atlas t/c's do I need? Not really sure what the numbers on them translate to..though the 1800 to 2300 dollar pricetag kinda sunk home...

poomba said:
Kay, looking at Moab/rubicon type rock bouncing...soo..which of the atlas t/c's do I need? Not really sure what the numbers on them translate to..though the 1800 to 2300 dollar pricetag kinda sunk home...

i'm not trying to be a jerk, but if you don't even know what the numbers mean you're probably not ready for an atlas yet. those numbers are gear ratios. if you were ready for an atlas you would already know what ratio you need.

sarvermr said:
i'm not trying to be a jerk, but if you don't even know what the numbers mean you're probably not ready for an atlas yet. those numbers are gear ratios. if you were ready for an atlas you would already know what ratio you need.

So explain it to him instead of 'not trying to be a jerk.'

Poomba, hit me backchannel if you're seriously interested.

I'd go 4.3, but then again your stock case could easily get you through and you can redirect those funds else where on your rig.

ECKSJAY said:
So explain it to him instead of 'not trying to be a jerk.'

Poomba, hit me backchannel if you're seriously interested.

thanks, bro. pm sent.

sarvermr said:

Well, he's from Little Rock, so that explains a lot. If he was from Hot Springs, I'd be able to explain that my t/c's been abused, and 3 attempts of using a BFH on the linkages (grin, Remi) didn't solve the problem. Shrug, it was a weakness I was aware of, and had hoped it had been corrected. Losing 4 lo in the middle of Poison Spider makes things..interesting. Was supposed to get it (atlas or comparable tc) put in the same time the dana 60's were thrown on, but ran out of time/money. As for being ready for an atlas, I'm ready for a tc upgrade. Could I get this one replaced with a stock one? Sure. It's been my philosophy to upgrade when a replacement was suggested. What I wasn't sure of, was which of the gear ratio's available suited my particular style of 4 wheeling, which was why I asked here. As for being ready for a piece of equipment, perhaps not. However, I'm sure with the above helpful guildlines, I'll just be able to stagger along, now won't I? Next time we're at a Naxja event, be sure and introduce yourself.

Economos said:
I'd go 4.3, but then again your stock case could easily get you through and you can redirect those funds else where on your rig.
Thanks, used to live in Greensboro, before dad read too many Louis L'Amour books and we came out West to look at the wrong end of too many cows. Figured since I was replacing the tc, and not impressed with standard linkages, I'd go ahead and do the Atlas and call it done. I'm trying to get the concept of rock crawling instead of rock falling, but the skinny pedal leg isn't listening. Funds..are important..but truly, just about everything's been changed but the tc and transmission, and the skin. Thanks for the reply.

I run the 3.8 with 5.38s/AW4/38s. I really like the gearing, it has nice control rolling down off of rocks and down hills with the TC locked up. More gearing would be a little too deep for me.

I gotta 2nd the "if you don't know what the numbers mean=maybe you should do some research b4 spending the $2600" But, AA is made in USA and your expenditure will help the local economy, thx!

If you have an auto tranny I would go with 3.8 with 35 inch tires or smaller, or 4.3 with 36-44" tires.

If you have a manual tranny I would get the 5.0 no matter what size tire.

There is a lot of wisdom to waiting and learning more before taking on a "hardcore" rig. Not being able to tell when you lost rear wheel drive, and not knowing how a u-joint goes together (fordyce trip) are pretty indicitive of a lack of general automotive knowledge that really is necessary to be doing what we do. Don't feel bad about it, I found NAXJA 3 years ago because I didn't know what the vacuum disconnect was on the front axle and why my 4wd wasn't working. 4 years ago I didn't know how to change my oil. Since then I have learned a MASSIVE amount from going through the normal process at the normal speed. I think you may be drastically rushing this process.

poomba said:
Well, he's from Little Rock, so that explains a lot. If he was from Hot Springs, I'd be able to explain that my t/c's been abused, and 3 attempts of using a BFH on the linkages (grin, Remi) didn't solve the problem.

what exactly does living in Little Rock explain? :huh: :confused: i moved here 4 years ago but lived the previous living in hot springs. i'm not saying you haven't beat the shit out of your case. i can see 2 main reasons you'd want an atlas.

1) strength: you're breaking shit and need a stronger case. but if all it is is the linkage, i'd much rather spend $25 over $2500 any day. replace the linkage.

2) gearing: but since you don't even know what the numbers mean i doubt you're too concerned with gearing.

so if you're getting an atlas for strength, get the gearing thats colsest to your current gearing. 3.0. that wouldnt be my choice, but it will give you strength and be almost like driving your current setup.

i'll make sure to introduce myself if we ever wheel together. like i said, wasn't trying to be a jerk. just trying to save you $2500. good luck. i'm sure you will love the atlas no matter what ratio you get. i'm definitely jealous.

matthew

BrettM said:
If you have an auto tranny I would go with 3.8 with 35 inch tires or smaller, or 4.3 with 36-44" tires.

If you have a manual tranny I would get the 5.0 no matter what size tire.
I don't understand why you would want the lower ratio with manual? Since 1st in the manual is lower then first in auto I would think you wanted to run lower gearing for the auto? Please explain as I am thinking about doing an atlas II 4.3:1 w/AW4 4.88's 33's (35's in the future)

and as far as your specific gearing, I have an AW4, 4.88s, stock 2.72 ratio t-case, and 35s. I think the crawl is almost perfect on trails like the Rubicon and Fordyce. I would like a little more, like a 4:1 in my t-case, or a 3.8 Atlas.

Have you looked into getting a NVG241OR Rock-Trac 4.1 and stronger than the 231 but cheaper than the Atlas. Just an idea don't know what the strength comparison between the atlas and the 241 is but it come with a 4.1.

:peace:

BrettM said:
two words: torque convertor.

auto has one, manual does not. a torque convertor will basically double your crawl ratio. I swapped a manual for an auto for the sole reason that it was the cheapest way to get a good crawl ratio.
Thanks for the info, so 35's w/ 4.88's and 4.3:1 is a bit of an overkill?

poomba said:

Damn, you're really going to town after that Fordyce fiasco. Nice........ :D

I agree that the 3.8 is the best Atlas with an automatic, and the 5.0 with a stick. I have a Tera 4 to 1, and even with 37's I don't need it any lower. The extreme low ratios, with an auto, don't give you any more trail capability, it mostly just makes running rock gardens and downhills more comfortable. The torque converter already lets you control your crawling speed for the most part, so super low gears are more of a luxury than a necessity. The 3.8 is low enough to give the extra control that is the nice thing about lower gears, anything lower is sort of wasted. It's different with a stick, the lower the better, since the preferred driving style is to never push in the clutch.

If you want to save a few bucks, that Rocktrac case from the Rubicon TJ is a good way to go.

another thing to keep in mind is brakes.. too dep of a crawl ratio with an automatic will just "push" thru your stock brakes... it sounds to me like he's running 60s so i assume the brakes have been upgraded as well... just food for thought...

Forget the Atlas....rebuild a Dana 300 it could cost you about half the price...check out this guys write up...

http://www.arizonatj.com/

He basicaly built an Atlas with 4:1 for well under $2000...

Back