• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear tire carier

DARKFLY

NAXJA Forum User
ok just instaled factory tire carier now how big of a tire can i fit on it

its ther one on the rear of the xj (outside)

There are two types of "factory" tire carriers, one attaches only to the bumper, and the other attaches to the bumper and the body.

I have the bumper and body type and I've "heard" that it's good to 31". I've read that on the net at least.

I've also seen people with larger tires on there. I've got a 235 on mine.

mine is the bumper/body. i'am looking for some stronger ball joints to beef it up before i try anything big. i was curious how big some people have gone on here before?

I've got the bumper & lift gate mount. Have a bfg mt 33" on there for a few months with no prob, on and off highway. I am going to put a safety cable on there just in case. Also as a theft deterant.

Bob

I’ve got the bumper/body tire rack. I haven’t tried any big stuff on it yet, but a 235 tire, 5 gal gas tank and a Hi-Lift jack have been riding there for the last 2 years. I’ve done a fair amount of off roading with it and it hasn’t been a problem. A couple of months ago I pulled a smooth one: forgot to latch the gate and went around a left hand corner at 20 mph. When the rack swung all the way out it made a horrible racket, jerked the back end of the Jeep around and bent the bumper and bracket behind it. Amazingly, the body mount was perfectly fine. Thank god no one was in the lane next to me. I’ve since replaced the factory bumper with a much stronger home built one and a latch assembly off of a Pathfinder. That thing is solid now. I had a buddy that is in the 200+ lb range bounce on the carrier and it never even twitched.

Back