• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 - shift motor rotation?

prljeep

NAXJA Forum User
Is the vacuum shift motor on the Dana 30 supposed to rotate freely?

Mine can rotate at least 270 degrees in either direction. I was wondering if oil got on/in there and rotted out any sort of gasket that it may have.

Is there a specific test to see if the motor is properly functioning?

Has anyone taken the flying saucer like motor apart so they can tell me what it looks like on the inside?

Thanks!
PRL

Yes, it should rotate. It is held in place by an internal snap ring and sealed by an o-ring.
To test you can use a vacuum gauge to see if it holds pressure, and doing so with the front tires off the ground, you can rotate the axles and verify engagement/disengagement of the shift collar that couple the axle.
Of the 3 vac fittings, one is push, one is pull and the other is vent. The vacuum is supplied from the vac canister, routed through the T-case vac switch. Common failures are factory plastic lines, I replaced mine with rubber lines, routed in split loom. I have since replaced the vac funtion with a cable that allows positive engagement, as well as the bonus of 2Low.

XJEEPER said:
as well as the bonus of 2Low.

Is 2 low REALLY a bonus? I have yet to find any real practicle use for my current 2low condition.

Did you even replace the lines to the transfer case with rubber? Was there any problems squeezing all the rubber hosing into where the four/three outlet adapter plugs into the case?

prl

I also made the swap over to cable and trashed the vac lines. I love it. I can engage and disengage my front end at will on the trail. $20 worth of parts from Home Depot and I have a cable setup. Just as good as the one for $200.

On rocks, 2low is a definate bonus if you have a locker up front. With the front locked and connected, it gets very hard to turn. Moab is the worst.

Back