• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Back flush with distilled water?

Trail Rated

NAXJA Forum User
I'm getting ready to flush the cleaner out of my system tomorrow and bought the back flush kit but I have never used it. For those of you that have used it, would I be able to put a funnel on a short hose and flush it with distilled water? I'm also changing the water pump and thermostat but I'm not sure of which to do first. Should I flush first in order to have a clean system for the new pump? Or should I just change the pump and flush right after?

I never figured a way to do that unless you have a seperate compressor that can pressurize a cannister with distilled water. I just try to get as much out of the system as I can before I refill with distilled water/coolant..
Once you hook up the garden hose to the adapter you'll know what I mean. Course if I had a compressor I could probably rig up something with a gas/kero 5 gallon jug or two and wouldn't let the compressor get over about 20-30 psi

There's no reason to flush with distilled water....just fill it with distilled when you're done.

Thanks for the quick reply. I figured it would need more pressure than just the funnel. So I think what I'll do is flush it with hose water and change the pump, thermostat and hoses while the regular water is in there. Then I'll drain and refill with 50/50 mix with distilled. Do I gotta drain the block and if so how hard is it to get to?

Trail Rated said:
Do I gotta drain the block and if so how hard is it to get to?

The older 4.0 have a drain plug on the driver's side of the block. I would think you'd be okay leaving that little bit of tap water in the block though.

Pioneer89XJ said:
The older 4.0 have a drain plug on the driver's side of the block. I would think you'd be okay leaving that little bit of tap water in the block though.

That "little bit" is about a gallon, 1/3 of the total fluid capacity. If you don't want to drain the block you could fill the radiator completely with distilled water, run the engine until the thermostat opens, and drain. The more you do it the more distilled water you'll have in there.

Are you trying to set the world record for the longest lasting cooling system components? Its a Jeep, not a Ferrari, I have simply flushed with a garden hose every 100,000 miles and refilled with the orange stuff, or the Dex-Cool. It is much better coolant, drastically increases water pump, therm, and rad life, and only needs service every 150,000 miles. I have 200,000 miles now and have never had a single cooling problem. The orange stuff even cools better. Just flush with garden hose, then poor in 1 full gallon of the orange stuff. Top off with 50/50 mix, and thats it, your good for at least 100,000 miles. Also, remove your recovery tank and clean it good and refill with 50/50. After your first drive with full warm up, top off system. You'll love the orange stuff, much less corrision, easier on pump.

Glad you posted this Jack, as I've been wondering about the orange stuff. I even bought a couple of gallons a couple of years back, but wasn't sure if I should do it.

I guess I'll put it on "the list"!!!!

Thanks!!!!
icon7.gif

Jackhill442 said:
Are you trying to set the world record for the longest lasting cooling system components? Its a Jeep, not a Ferrari, I have simply flushed with a garden hose every 100,000 miles and refilled with the orange stuff, or the Dex-Cool. It is much better coolant, drastically increases water pump, therm, and rad life, and only needs service every 150,000 miles. I have 200,000 miles now and have never had a single cooling problem. The orange stuff even cools better. Just flush with garden hose, then poor in 1 full gallon of the orange stuff. Top off with 50/50 mix, and thats it, your good for at least 100,000 miles. Also, remove your recovery tank and clean it good and refill with 50/50. After your first drive with full warm up, top off system. You'll love the orange stuff, much less corrision, easier on pump.

ZmOz said:
That "little bit" is about a gallon, 1/3 of the total fluid capacity. If you don't want to drain the block you could fill the radiator completely with distilled water, run the engine until the thermostat opens, and drain. The more you do it the more distilled water you'll have in there.

If you take off the lower radiator hose is there still gallon in the block? I really find it hard to believe there is that much in the block.

Pioneer89XJ said:
If you take off the lower radiator hose is there still gallon in the block? I really find it hard to believe there is that much in the block.

Prior to having access to one of the sun machines I would jack up the rear of the jeep as high as I could get it, that helped a very little bit, opening the block drain plug would do more. Even the sun machine does not get it all out on the vacumn cycle, it does get it all out on the pressure cycle as it pushes the old stuff out as it displaces it.

Yes Crystalship1, the orange stuff is great. It is much easier on parts because it doesn't have some harsh something in it that the green stuff does. You could not even look at it for 100,000 miles and be ok. I was a little nervous about putting it in at first too, but couldn't be happier. As for a gallon being left in the block, yes, there probably is close to that. Just drain the radiator out of the drain until it stops, with the cap off. Then, start the engine with heat on hi, and a good bit more will flow out of the drain on rad. I have even let the engine run for a while before, and the water I had leftover from the flush in the engine boiled out of the radiator, and it worked great. I am not necessarily recommending this, though!

Jackhill442 said:
Just drain the radiator out of the drain until it stops, with the cap off. Then, start the engine with heat on hi, and a good bit more will flow out of the drain on rad.
:scared: :conceited

Back