• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help!!!

RockyB

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,-- A bit long, but please read --
I'm new to this forum. Lets first start out with what type of XJ I have...it is a 1986 Jeep Cherokee Laredo with chevy's 2.8l engine, 5spd trans, 4x4, 4dr, with hitch. This is my uncle's jeep. He acquired the jeep for free, the previous owner hand thrown a rod, spun the bearing, and put a hole in the block, we found a rebuildable motor and rebuilt it and placed it in the vehicle. I've been driving the jeep for three months now(breaking it in). A few days ago I was going home at night and my dash lights went out, but the headlights and everything else works. Before that the rear brake lights work on and off. Now, yesterday I was going to work and noticed everytime I hit the brakes the LED display on the radio(the tuner numbers) dims or completely disappear and comes back after I take my foot off the brakes. I then heard like a crackle and smelt smoke, I got to work and checked it out but nothing was found wrong. That afternoon I was going home I smelt smoke again and wasn't going to take any chances with it so I left it at work. Today I started it up and the everything on the dash wasn't working, a few seconds later I hear this high pitch noise and it doesn't go away until I turn the jeep off. I start it again and the dash is semi working I'll rev it up the tach goes up but doesn't go back down(at idle). I pulled the instrument cluster and everything good no melted wires. I checked under the dash and on the brake pedal there is a switch, one wire was partially melted, so I replaced and reconnected to the switch-now my brake lights work. I don't want to take any chances with driving it. Does anyone know what this could be?? Anyone experienced problems like this before?? Also, while I was checking under the dash I noticed this yellow box and it says AMC alarm. I don't have a remote or anything...It looks like it's still functional. Does any XJ owners have one of these??

Fisrt of all. The yellow box. That's the Cruise Control brain.

Look for a short in yoru brake light curcuit, that caused the meltdown and the dimming. I'd look back in teh bulb area first.

Dash lights - Probably a headlight switch. Just remove the headlight knob (there's a little button on the switch itself, reach up under the dash, find the button, push it, and pull the knob out). Then there's a lock ring behind that knob on the dash, take it out with a screwdriver (just screws in), then remove the siwtch and get the wires off it. A new switch can be picked up at Autozone.

That might be the extent of your problems, if everything works fine after that I'd be inclined to day "Problem Solved!" :)

Sequoia

Back