• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 U-joint shop replacement cost?

xjfish

NAXJA Forum User
I have a loose passenger side u-joint that should be replaced soon. I have asked about this before and have been told $200-300 job for both sides, $150 each side from someone else, and "really cheap, just bring it in" from another for shop work. I will provide the U-joint myself but what have you been charged for labor?? The reason I'm asking is that I'm going to be bringing my xj in soon to get an alignment, longer brakeline,tires/wheels mounted and balanced, etc. and would ask them to do this if the price is right. I will try calling around but I was wondering what the going rate seems to be?

I really would do this myself but I have been extremly busy with school, work, and other projects lately. I also do not have much for the required tools. At mimimum I would need to buy new sockets and try to hunt down a big torque wrench to borrow. Also don't have a press or anything for installing the u-joint...
If the cost is really high I might just have to take the chance of detroying my axel shafts until I have time and tools!

Thanks in advance for any help/opinions given! :)

I usually figure 30 minutes to just change an axle shaft *IF* the hub bearing isn't original. U-joint replacement can be as little as 10 minutes with the right tools and luck, could be a lot longer.

In your case, I'd figure a minimum of 1 hour labor, and probably 1.5, maybe 2 for the whole job. You shouldn't need any parts beyond the u-joint.

ChiXJeff

Back