• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is power steering fluid necessary

jeepinxj05

NAXJA Forum User
More technical difficulty. My power steering leaks fluid like crazy from somewhere but i don't know where to look for the leak. I just know because after like two weeks or so, the fluid is empty and ,since I rigged my little auxiliary electric fan to a toggle switch, there is always a dark oily film (thick) behind the power steering pump. Is it bad/dangerous to run with it empty? Will the power steering stop leak do what it says for this?

Clean the area out and FIND THE LEAK, before the pump seizes....

Welcome to my world, except mine is dry every 3 days. It's prolly the underside hose connection (that's what it is on mine). I just don't have the time to do it yet.

The stop leak is worth a try, but as other have said .... it's probably time for a new one.

"Power steering fluid ..... nahhh.... that's a gimick. Just like engine oil!!!!" :laugh2:

jeepinxj05 said:
More technical difficulty. My power steering leaks fluid like crazy from somewhere but i don't know where to look for the leak. I just know because after like two weeks or so, the fluid is empty and ,since I rigged my little auxiliary electric fan to a toggle switch, there is always a dark oily film (thick) behind the power steering pump. Is it bad/dangerous to run with it empty? Will the power steering stop leak do what it says for this?

Clean thoroughly and run for 30 minutes. Reinspect.

Those damn OEMR hoses tend to start leaking around the crimp fittings after a while - when I went thru this on my wife's 89 about two summers ago (pump and box decided to keel over at the same time!) I replaced everything and went to aftermarket (read: racing) hose and -AN fittings. A decent performance or fluid power shop will have the adapter fittings for conecting -6AN lines to teh box, and I made an adapter for the pump by cutting the metal tube off of the hose righe before the crimp sleeve and brazing on a -6 plug I drilled out to accept the tube. Made hoses with "wiggle room" (about 8" OAL) and put it all together - it don't leak anymore. Also, the fittings I used are reusable - you screw them together "around" the end of the hose - and I ordered enough hose to make a few sets. If/when I need new hoses, I just pull the old ones and make a new set.

If you've got the wherewithal to do it, I can give you more detailed information and the fittings you'll need to avoid the "adapter-zilla" job I did the first time. I'll get different fittings and file it under "Lessons Learned" for the next time...

5-90

ive heard of power steering pumps (in cherokee's) catching :flame: so i would plan on getting this fixed asap....

On mine I've had problems with the metal part of the line rusting out.

Power steering fluid likes to burn, and the manifold is on the same side. It's been many years since I had a power steering fluid fire, but stopping and seeing people jumping around gesturing and yelling "flames, flames" and running for fire extinguishers, and trying to open the hood while the car is on fire is one of those things that sticks in the memory. Fix it.

Yeah, steering fluid really likes to burn. We had a hose blow on vacation once. Fortunately, we were in a gas station parking lot. There was a fire extinquisher in the boat he was towing but my Dad actually blew the fire out with his own lung power. I realized that day the benefit hollering at your kids for years can provide. I now practice it on my kids on a regular basis: just in case.

That was on an old Plymouth where the SP had it's own belt. A quick slice of the belt and we were back on the road. Of course, after 8 hours towing a boat with no hydro assist, he was wishing he'd been carrying a spare hose.

XJ Dreamin'
stock 2WD '93 XJ, 4.0L HO, AW4, d35c, LT 235/75R15 A/T's all 'round

its a 91. probably the preasure hose has a leak. they get old after about 13 years. power steering fluid is good if you like to turn.

My old 89 had a pretty decent leak and I replaced the hoses hoping that it would fix the leak. It didn't. So I put in a bottle of the Lucas Power Steering stop leak and it slowed the leak down to a very small amount. My little sister has it now and it is still hanging in there. Pumps aren't that expensive though.

My power steering is really strong, even when the fluid is really low, but i found the lead. It's the hose at the very bottom. It's covered in old oil/grease and is dripping from there. now, can i just wrap some hose tape round it? i have duck tape on it right now.

Back