• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

maint req light

A '92 is OBD compliant. You need to hook up to a scanner to find out what code(s) are showing. The codes will tell you what needs to be fixed.

It's only connected to an engine hour timer. When the key is on, it starts counting, and eventually turns on this light, which signifys it's time to replace the Oxygen Sensor. I don't think there is a way to reset it, other than to take it to the dealership.. I don't know, i haven't messed with it (I will have to eventually :fuse: ).. Most people simply unplug the damn thing.
It tends to turn on around 80K miles, if i remember correctly..

Good luck
-Nick

Brian, may I suggest you check your reluctor capacity switch located right beneath the dash next to the brake pedal. Just a soggestion. That or your muffler bearing may have gone out! :anon: :skull1:

pxs said:
It's only connected to an engine hour timer. When the key is on, it starts counting, and eventually turns on this light, which signifys it's time to replace the Oxygen Sensor. I don't think there is a way to reset it, other than to take it to the dealership.. I don't know, i haven't messed with it (I will have to eventually :fuse: ).. Most people simply unplug the damn thing.
It tends to turn on around 80K miles, if i remember correctly..

Good luck
-Nick
That's for the Renix models ('87 thru '90). He has a '92, which is OBD-1

turn the key to the on position and then to off three times. the check engine light will then flash the error code. if no codes come up don't worry about it. If you talk nice to the service writer they might turn it off for free. I bought a $4 peice of plastic and the parts guy cleared mine for free. It takes all of one minute.

pxs said:
Didn't realize they switched so early.. Sorry, my bad.
-Nick
I'd check into that further. I realize Eagle is very knowledgeable but I know my '91 has both a "check engine" light and a "maint req'd" light. The "maint req'd" one has been on for years. Check engine light doesn't show any unusual codes beause of it. I've always been told it's just a timer for emissions maintenance. No emissions testing here so I've never worried about it.

Tony

A 1992 will have BOTH a "check engine" and a "maintenance required" light.

The CE light is what will illuminate when the ECU senses a problem. On a 1992, which is OBD-I, it can also be interrogated into flashing. Counting the flashes will reveal the codes. (So will plugging the DRB scanner into the DRB port under the hood, but most of us don't have a DRB scanner, so counting flashes is easier.) Fixing whatever the ECU says is wrong will cause this light to go out.

The "maintenance required" light comes on automatically at 82,500 miles. It's designed to alert the owner to take the vehicle to the dealer, where the O2 sensor will be replaced. This light can ONLY be reset by using the DRB scanner.

On my 1992, I replaced the O2 sensor at 82K, and then I pulled the bulb from the socket for the MR light. You just have to remember to change the O2 sensor at least every 82K miles..........

My bad. I didn't know they retained the O2 reminder light after '90.

Back