• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Checking fluid in the rear axle???

prljeep

NAXJA Forum User
90 MJ 4x4 Pioneer MT, 128k

I am 99% sure I have the dana 35 on the back (I have been looking for the multiple posts with the link to the axle pictures); however where do I check the fluid level and fill it up at? The fsm says the check/refill hole should be near the driveshaft on the upper right side if looking at it from the front??? I checked all over and could not find a plug???

AM I an idiot??? :huh:

Also, it looks like the gasket may be leaking at the rear end housing- do they make a replacement gasket or just use RTV? It appears to be a sloppy RTV job on mine at the moment.

Thanks- PRL

prljeep said:
90 MJ 4x4 Pioneer MT, 128k

I am 99% sure I have the dana 35 on the back (I have been looking for the multiple posts with the link to the axle pictures); however where do I check the fluid level and fill it up at? The fsm says the check/refill hole should be near the driveshaft on the upper right side if looking at it from the front??? I checked all over and could not find a plug???

AM I an idiot??? :huh:

Also, it looks like the gasket may be leaking at the rear end housing- do they make a replacement gasket or just use RTV? It appears to be a sloppy RTV job on mine at the moment.

Thanks- PRL
Get behind the rear bumper and look at the axle. On the right side of the pumpkin there should be a rubber cap ( if its the D35) which just pops out. Stick your finger in and bend it down. You should almost immediately feel the gear lube. You want to RTV the cover if you change the Fliud. Best thing to do is pop off the cover plate, clean it up good, and apply RTV to the rim of it. Let it get tacky ( about 15 min or so) then put the cover back on. I wait for an hour or so to fill it myself so that the RTV has more time to set.

Thanks! I know exactly what you are talking about- I must have the D35!!!

If I don't know when it was last changed, should i just change it?

prljeep said:
If I don't know when it was last changed, should i just change it?

Can't hurt. And it's going to smell *so* nice, too...

red91inWA said:
CHICKS DIG the smell of GEAR LUBE !!! Trust me...

So I should basically let it all drip out all over my clothes and skin instead of in a bucket or pan, right?

That doesn't sound that different from any other project I attempt!

prljeep said:
So I should basically let it all drip out all over my clothes and skin instead of in a bucket or pan, right?

That doesn't sound that different from any other project I attempt!
HA thats funny, i let a girl smell some gear lube the other day(it was even still new) and she said it was the worst thing she ever smelled. if i can just get her to smell the old stuff that came out...

Back