• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission problem!!!

zr1003

NAXJA Forum User
Here's the situation... My 2wd 94' XJ blew a transmission. It is also an automatic. My question is, if me and a couple of buddies take the tranny out ourselves, take it to a shop to have it rebuilt, is it that big of a hassle to put it back in? My friends have put trannys' in before, but mainly on older CJ's and scouts. Is there that much of a difference? They seem to know their stuff, but is it worth doing it myself to save a lot of money or should I just have a shop do all of the work. Thanks for any help.

Zack

If you can get it out, putting it in is just the reverse. Be sure somebody keeps track of where all the linkage connects and where the vent lines go. Assume that the upper half of the tranny dipstick/fill tube is going to get destroyed -- it's about a $10 part at any Jeep dealer.

I think the potential cost saving is worth a try, as long as you have friends who know what they're doing. BTW, a transmission jack isn't absolutely necessary but it's a whole lot better than lying on the ground/floor and trying to bench press a tranny back into place.

Back