• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is the motor rebuilt?

bzdel2441

NAXJA Forum User
Looking at a used jeep....It has almost 300K on it. The owner is unsure about its past because he hasnt had it that long and he got it from an auction. The engine is just super clean though no oil anywhere or leaks anywhere. Also the block (and water pump) is painted a crapy faded red color. I am guessing that would mean that the motor could have been rebult or replaced? Is there any way you can tell if it has been rebult?

There is a code with a build date on the right side of the block. If that doesn't match the year of the vehicle it probably indicates a replacement engine, but there's no good way to tell if the original engine was rebuilt and put back in. It's very unusual for a Jeep engine over 100K to be oil-free though.

Eagle said:
There is a code with a build date on the right side of the block. If that doesn't match the year of the vehicle it probably indicates a replacement engine, but there's no good way to tell if the original engine was rebuilt and put back in. It's very unusual for a Jeep engine over 100K to be oil-free though.

The jeep dealer can also tell you if it's the original engine. My sons 97TJ was like that, the engine compartment was *spotless*, detailed out the wazoo, when we popped the hood all three of us, wife, son, me said WOW, it positively gleamed w/brand new hoses every wire routed and tied down and shiny like an armourall bomb had gone off under the hood. Thought about it for a while and the dealer in patterson nj builds/sells those neon/vw type lowered ground effected street racers and all his cars on the lot looked like that with super detailing done on them so I guess this one had gotten 'The treatment' too.

bzdel2441 -- you're not in Dallas, TX, are you? I was just looking at one that fits the description you've given so far -- here it is on the web: http://www.justjeepsoftexas.com/inventory/471.html

If that's the one you're looking at, the dealer told me he THINKS it was rebuilt or replaced, I don't think he knows for certain (I've bought from him before). I don't know whether the engine was rebuilt but -- I have to warn you -- that particular XJ (if it's the same one) is rusted completely through on the bottom, just above the exhaust pipe, primarily under the rear passenger seat but it's rusting all along the exhaust. My opinion is that the engine looks brand new, like a full replacement, among other things it seems to have the sensor-configuration of a '94-'96 XJ or later.

If you are NOT in Dallas, not at the dealership I linked to above, then just ignore what I've written. The advice already given is right on, as to how to determine whether it has been replaced. A rebuilt engine would be hard to tell.

HoratioTheJeep said:
bzdel2441 -- you're not in Dallas, TX, are you? I was just looking at one that fits the description you've given so far -- here it is on the web: http://www.justjeepsoftexas.com/inventory/471.html

If that's the one you're looking at, the dealer told me he THINKS it was rebuilt or replaced, I don't think he knows for certain (I've bought from him before). I don't know whether the engine was rebuilt but -- I have to warn you -- that particular XJ (if it's the same one) is rusted completely through on the bottom, just above the exhaust pipe, primarily under the rear passenger seat but it's rusting all along the exhaust. My opinion is that the engine looks brand new, like a full replacement, among other things it seems to have the sensor-configuration of a '94-'96 XJ or later.

If you are NOT in Dallas, not at the dealership I linked to above, then just ignore what I've written. The advice already given is right on, as to how to determine whether it has been replaced. A rebuilt engine would be hard to tell.

No its up here in WA. But i mean the compartment shows its age with dirt and grime. But the block and engite engine is oil free. So I am guessing it must have been replaced or rebuilt.

Back