• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

smoking

Moto

NAXJA Member #576
When I get on the gas and to go pass people on the highway, when I am done passing them and let off, my Jeep sometimes will start smoking, seems like oil is blowing past the rings or something. I don't remember it doing this before the past month or so. Is there anything I can do to help this, or should I just try to avoid that sistuation?

I don't know the CCV tube setup on the newer XJ's but it is possible that your CCV gromet(at the back of the valve cover on an 89) is clogged. If it is, then the combination of low manifold vacuum at Wide-open-throttle and the quantity of air going through your snorkel is reversing the flow in the crankcase ventilation system. There is a big tube from the front of the valve cover to the intake snorkel. The direction of air flow is from the filter to the valve cover. If the CCV grommet or pipe clogs, the flow reverses and goes from valve cover to the filter. This could be the source of your smoke. If it is- then you are going to find oil on your air cleaner and inside the snorkel tube. If this is the case, there is discussion here and on Cherokee America showing you how to fix it-its not hard. On the other hand-you could be about to throw a rod- Nawww think positive!

If its your rings begining to wear, stick in a can of RESTOR at your next oil change.

yeah I wasn't sure if the whole ccv thing applied to newer XJ's but I will definately check it out. I have tried that restore stuff in several other vehicles and it really does work wonders, I don't think it is my rings wearing because it doesn't do it all the time. I am going to have to investigate some more because for all I could be occasionally leaking onto the exhaust, because my rear main appeared to be leaking and then stopped so who knows maybe is just decides to piss a ton of oil all over my exhaust every now and then

Back