• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GDI Radiator

Mine was 200 dollars got it last year from 1800radiator, or some chit like that.

There was a guy on here that always pimped out his place of business, and they had a deal on em. They have both closed and open system ones IIRC. Mine is closed.

Last year I called 1800 radiators and asked for a guy named Yogi who was running a special. 100 dollars shipped to my door with next day shipping. You may still be able to get a discount, I dont remember his extension though. Perhaps you can search the old archives.

ya nmow that i think about it, it might now have been 200 bucks, ill have to look at the invoi e i got stashed somewhere.

Regardless, i got a good deal, and the thing has worked FLAWLESSLY.

$129.99 if you have a local Autozone store near you or order it online at autozone.com.

I dont know about you guys but I say GDI is the thee most Crappy built Radiator I have seen on the face of the planet. Ya it cools good but the thing has no quality in its built. GDI is based in Mexico not even here in USA. I ordered my GDI 3 row installed it, then found it was gunked (clogged) with rusty crap. After spending another day taking it off and getting another one. This time the outside of the radiator was rusted... all they did was just paint over a rusty radiator. ( you can scratch the paint off and look at the rust) even the top studs where the bracket goes were rusted then painted over. I wound up snapping both mounting studs on top trying to get the bolts on. the rusted ate the thread off the rust. and the paint over the threads didnt help much either. I opted to go with Valeo radiators from 1800-radiator. its a Heavy duty thick 2 row aluminum. THe quility of these 2 radiators are night and day. I will never go back to GDI. Biggest pile of crap i have every seen in my life:rolleyes:

I dont think that was GDI...I think the place you bought them from was ripping you a new a**hole.......I have sold many of these and put two in my jeeps they have been nothing but very nice and not a spot of rust inside or out......I know you didnt buy em from 1800raditor...where did you get em @

KarmirXJ said:
I ordered my GDI 3 row installed it, then found it was gunked (clogged) with rusty crap. After spending another day taking it off and getting another one. This time the outside of the radiator was rusted... all they did was just paint over a rusty radiator. ( you can scratch the paint off and look at the rust) even the top studs where the bracket goes were rusted then painted over. I wound up snapping both mounting studs on top trying to get the bolts on. the rusted ate the thread off the rust. and the paint over the threads didnt help much either.

Can brass rust? I have a GDI and I also had problems with the top studs. I would recommend a wire brush or a die to clean up the threads. I think mine was $99. with next day.

Curt (Xtreme XJ)

My mom runs one and its great, idle in 90 degrees with AC on in traffic and we have no problems. I used a little steel wool to take off the paint on the mounting studs. Yeah, and the interior is supposed to be brass, so the rust that clogged the cores must have been either from your engine, or evidence of a rip-off.

I too got the GDI for $99 delivered to my door (12/01). Shipped out from PA, but made in Mexico, and I was also a little surprised by the rust, looked almost like they just got an old radiator and painted it up. The fins were all straight though. So far no problems, and I towed another XJ on top of a 2400lb trailer for 3000miles up and over mountains.

XJguy

xjnation said:
I dont think that was GDI...I think the place you bought them from was ripping you a new a**hole.......I have sold many of these and put two in my jeeps they have been nothing but very nice and not a spot of rust inside or out......I know you didnt buy em from 1800raditor...where did you get em @

I can read, It said GDI w/ the blueish rainbow logo.
how do you "know" that I didnt get this from 1800radiator.
If I tell you I got it from 1800radiator then I got it from 1800radiator, theres no point in arguing with a person and telling them that they didnt do something when they say they did.:rolleyes:

BTW: To give you a bit more proof I had to talk to George, he is the Jeep radiator tech guy over there. So Know you know that i DID buy from them.

Last edited:
KarmirXJ said:
I dont know about you guys but I say GDI is the thee most Crappy built Radiator I have seen on the face of the planet. Ya it cools good but the thing has no quality in its built. GDI is based in Mexico not even here in USA. I ordered my GDI 3 row installed it, then found it was gunked (clogged) with rusty crap. After spending another day taking it off and getting another one. This time the outside of the radiator was rusted... all they did was just paint over a rusty radiator. ( you can scratch the paint off and look at the rust) even the top studs where the bracket goes were rusted then painted over. I wound up snapping both mounting studs on top trying to get the bolts on. the rusted ate the thread off the rust. and the paint over the threads didnt help much either. I opted to go with Valeo radiators from 1800-radiator. its a Heavy duty thick 2 row aluminum. THe quility of these 2 radiators are night and day. I will never go back to GDI. Biggest pile of crap i have every seen in my life:rolleyes:

You didn't say you got the GDI from 1800radiators.com

Is anyone else starting to see a trend here?

I bought my GDI in December of 1999 from a locan radiator shop, before I had ever heard of Yogi or 1-800-RADIATOR. I paid quite a bit more than $100, but the fit was flawless and it has performed like a champ from the day I dropped it into my '88. My NAC friend Erich has bought two from the same shop, one for his XJ and one for his wife's ZJ. Same thing, both work fine, didn't show up all dinged and smashed, no leaks upon startup.

Somehow, it seems like a lot of people who buy these radiators for that special price have a lot of problems with them. When I heard about that price, I asked the owner of my local shop if he could match it. He said that price was so far below dealer cost that he couldn't come close.

I am beginning to suspect that 1-800-RADIATOR may be selling off GDI's rejects. That would explain both the impossibly low price, and the fact that it's only the people who buy through that particular source who ever seem to have a complaint about the radiator.

Has anyone who ever bought a GDI from a source other than 1-800-RADIATOR had quality problems with it?

The 1 800 radiator program you can have the option to pick it upat a local shop.......which is what I did last time..bought it online and picked it up in PHX

Back