• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trouble starting

91XJ4X4

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 91 XJ that has been parked for the last 5 months. Now I need to drive it again so i have charged the battery, replaced the distributor/rotor and all plug wires (corrossion on the old parts), cleaned and regapped the plugs. The engine turns over but wont fire up. A few times it almost caught but never turned over without me cranking it. I pulled a plug and the spark is good so i know my ignition is ok. I have checked the fuel rail for fuel supply and it is ok. Airflow into the throttle body is ok. My thoughts are that the injectors may not be working.

Any advise or thoughts are welcome!

91XJ4X4

With a two foot piece of pipe or plastic tubing, you can listen to the injectors, they go clackity klack, when they are cycling. If they aren´t cycling, a CPS. test is in order. If they are cycling and you arn´t getting any fuel and your fuel pressure is OK, plugged injector screens, sounds like a possibility.
Fuel filter is always worth a look, fuel seperates and leaves a varnish type sludge behind.
Have heard that unpluging the CPS lead and pluging it back up, has helped some people with a no start.
A little squirt of Quick Start, down the old throttle body, may help tell if it´s fuel, spark or timing. Use it spairingly, it can cause motor damage. Check the inside of your air box and the air filter close, mice and birds have been known to take up residence in there. Might also have a close look at your wiring, for chew marks.
Last time mine refused to start, it was a loose connector, at the MAP sensor. Time before that, it was the five pin plug behind the relay block, full of water. Time before that, it was corrosion, in the distributor cap, was getting spark, but too weak to be much good. Spark looked kind of yellow and anemic (would occasionally pop, but wouldn´t run). Wifes XJ refuse to start, a weasel had been Chewing on the wiring and marking his territory in the engine compartment :wow: .
You mentioned you changed the distributor. Did you get it back in, in exactly the same way it came out. Meaning mostly, the rotor pointing to the same spot, on the old distributor and the new. Might be worth a few minutes, to pull the number one plug, turn the engine over until you feel compression, line up the "0" timing marks and check if the rotor is pointing towards the number 1, moulded into the top of your distributor cap (most have this). It will usually be a little after the number one electrode, but close enough for a quick check. Might also want to double check, the firing order, make sure the number 1 plug wire is hooked up to proper location on the cap, at TDC.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I will look around the XJ for possible rodent activity and a more detailed inspection for electrical connections. Also i will try some quick start spray.

91XJ4X4

Back