• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust pipe and glass packs

prljeep

NAXJA Forum User
1. Is anyone running cherry bombs, glass packs, etc? Does it (or they sound ok? Any back pressure issues? :huh:

2. On a routine check I noticed that my exhaust pipe- the piece directly off the exhaust manifold and before where the cat would be (which I don't have) was loose (at the engine end) and in general very rusty. Do most muffler shops bend that piece? It looks rather complicated as it narrows by the oil pan and then turns towards the right side of the vehicle (assuming the piece of have on there now is stock).

3. Is there a special name for the piece of pipe between the engine and the cat? In looking at autozone.com they had pieces called "exhaust pipe" and pieces called "tail pipe." I am assuming that is the "exhaust pipe"??? Will that come with the hardware to connect it to the engine?

TIA

PRL

Last edited:
The pipe you are referring to is the "exhaust pipe." It should come with the upper flange, but you'll also need a gasket ("donut") and probably new nuts for the studs. You might need new studs -- soak, soak, soak with PB Blaster before attempting removal of those nuts.

You'll also need a gasket for the lower flange at the catalytic converter. As far as I know that one is dealer only.

Eagle said:
You'll also need a gasket for the lower flange at the catalytic converter. As far as I know that one is dealer only.

Thanks Eagle- always a help!

Yes, my bolts are very rusted! Thank god I don't have a cat- so I don't need to make a trip to the dealership!

I think I saw both gaskets at advance auto/ parts america- however.

On question 3, yes it's the exhaust pipe, or down pipe, and there's not much hardware involved. The pipe attaches to the exhaust manifold without a gasket or ring. The bell mouth on the pipe goes over a corresponding surface on the manifold and is clamped on by a flange. The studs for mounting are pressed into the manifold, and you won't get new studs or nuts with the pipe. If you shear off the studs you'll either have to get new ones or knock the stubs out and use bolts, so take your time loosening things if you can. The holes left in the manifold are a little large for bolts but it works fine if you use 3/8 inch bolts with washers. I'm not sure if you get a new flange with the pipe, but that's easy to find out. It probably can't be slid off or on past the kinks and bends in the pipe, in which case it will come with it. Otherwise reuse the old one. You'll have to buy a new clamp for the catalyst end separately as well.

edit: I see Eagle says there's a gasket or donut, but I'm under the impression there isn't. He's probably done one more recently than I have. Expect him to be right, but ask at the parts store.

Eagle said:
The pipe you are referring to is the "exhaust pipe." It should come with the upper flange, but you'll also need a gasket ("donut") and probably new nuts for the studs. You might need new studs -- soak, soak, soak with PB Blaster before attempting removal of those nuts.

Is there a donut? I thought it was metal-to-metal. Note that Prljeep is running without a converter, and later models don't have the flange for the converter, so he may just need a clamp. Which reminds me to remind PRLJeep to make sure he gets the pipe for the correct model year, because there IS a difference at the converter end.

I run a glass pack... I like the way it sounds, although some may disagree. I have no back pressure issues and my low-end power seemed to improve a little after adding it. It was cheap and it is pretty free flowing. At idle, it is like a low rumble. Also because of its size and shape, it tucks away nicely and is a lot tougher to bash on the trail.

John :viking:

Upper (manifold) end is a "donut." It presses into the manifold and provides a seat for the belled end of the exhaust pipe. If the old pipe comes off clean it's often possible to reuse the old donut, but if chunks of it come off with the old pipe you're left with a rough surface and will likely have some small exhaust leaks at the interface after installing the new pipe.

The lower end comes with a square flange welded to it for the catalytic converter. That flange takes four bolts. Don't know how much it helps here in New England, but for that I buy 5/16 x 1-1/2 stainless steel bolts and nuts at Lowe's. The heat probably cooks it off, but I also use anti-sieze on them (as I do on everything).

On my '96 there is no donut gasket, compression type fit right to the manifold. Must depend on the model year whether or not a donut is used.

Back