• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Buying a 96-99 XJ - Recommendations?

clifton

NAXJA Forum User
New to the forum here, been driving FSJ's for years, and it's time to downsize. Not just size, but the ole Waggie keeps the toolbox toooo busy.

Looking for a 96-99 XJ, as these seem to be in my price range, and mileage (60k - 100k). I know the 4.0 is bulletproof, and I want an auto trans. Is there anything among these years that stands out, or something I should avoid? I would prefer a 2-door, but there doesn't seem to be many of those around, particularly with 4wd (that's a must). I tow a drag car also, so if I can't find one with a tow package, it will be added.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Look for a 97+. 96 was the last year of the old body style. There's nothing wrong with a 96 (I have one). But with the 97+, you get the more rounded body edges and the full front door windows.

Do a search - you'll find lots of information... Things to look for:
The new body style was introduced in '97.
Chrysler 8.25 axle - stronger than the D35 (not avail. with ABS)
Only automatic offered with the 4.0L is the AW4
Transfer cases offered - NP231 & NP242 (the 242 had a full time 4x4 option)

Hope that helps...

Will.

I agree with all above but go for the 242 transmission, Select trac (full time 4x4)
231 Command Trac (part time 4x4). when i bought mine that was one of the key things I looked for and wouldn't settle for less. Good luck and welcome to XJ world

99 came with a high pinion D30 (stronger than the low pinion) and a 29 spline 8.25 rearend.

I would suggest any of those years with the factory tow package: gets the 8.25 rear axle, factory installed class III hitch and light wiring and an aux tranny cooler.

Travis :peace:

Blazair said:
99 came with a high pinion D30 (stronger than the low pinion) and a 29 spline 8.25 rearend.

Just to clarify, 99 and earlier came with the hi-pinion D30. Also some 96 and all 97+ 8.25's are 29 spline.

spaulman's clarification above is very important. The spline count on the 8.25" makes the axle that much stronger, which can be a very important part. One other note though is that the 96+ NP231 uses a transfer-case output that can have very bad vibes if lifted; making an SYE strongly recommended. The 95-earlier output wasn't as bad but had a problem in that removing the rear driveshaft opened up the t-case to leaking.

Hello and welcome! The XJ's are great trucks. I have a 92 with 154,000 on it. Still running great.

Ironically, I've been thinking about moving up to a larger vechical. (family and dogs make the XJ a tight camping experience.) I was thinking along the lines of an SJ full size, a 91-94 Toyota LC, or a 87-91 Chevy Suburban.

FWIW the pre-96 XJ's don't have the pesky (in my opionion) air bags nor the troublesome Chrysler parts. (ie. crapy power window problems, intermitent guage problems (loose wires I think), and controversal seat belts (search in Google for info)). They do have a few other nice improvements mentioned above and some more such as better brake booster, beter sound proofing, and better alternator. I myself like the XJ un-molested by Cryco's hands, and therefore preferer the pre-96. No Flames please, just my opinion. I hate Chrysler Benz. :peace:

Good luck in your quest.

Dave

Dave in ABQ said:
I was thinking along the lines of an SJ full size, a 91-94 Toyota LC, or a 87-91 Chevy Suburban.

Dave

I have a '93 Suburban for sale if your interested. 77K, white, 4in lift, 33in AT's, Waldoch package with leather and all the toys... email me for pics.

Back