• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which leaf from donor XJ for AAL

kellen

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to be adding a leaf to my sagging 89 cherokee. It has sagged like 1.5-2.0". I know that it prob. depends on the shape of the donor springs, but they will prob. be from an early 90's, late 80s XJ. I have read rocklizards cheap lift and he said the main leaf, filed down, will give 2" above the factory spec. I just want to lift it back to normal.

Any ideas which leaf to put on from the donor pack???

Kellen

kellen said:
I am going to be adding a leaf to my sagging 89 cherokee. It has sagged like 1.5-2.0". I know that it prob. depends on the shape of the donor springs, but they will prob. be from an early 90's, late 80s XJ. I have read rocklizards cheap lift and he said the main leaf, filed down, will give 2" above the factory spec. I just want to lift it back to normal.

Any ideas which leaf to put on from the donor pack???

Kellen

just get one from a dakota with a little more arch. The one directly under the main.

The main will get you 2". Add the second leaf you get 3"+- a little

Thanks!

Now according to rock lizards fab site, i need new u bolts (4), spring clamps (4) and new center pins (2 at 5/16"). I understand why you need the center pin (more springs, longer pin needed. Also the spring pack clamps will break. But do I need new U bolts, or is this an item that might as well be replaced as I am there?

Thanks,

Kellen

The donor main leaf is not "filed down" -- it is cut off at the ends to remove the bushing eyes. Cut just short of where it starts to bend around and no filing should be necessary ... or just enough to clean up any burrs at the cut.

Stock springs use three rebound clips per side. You can get away with two (four total), but if all you're doing is restoring sagged springs, they'll last longer if you replace all three on each spring.

New u-bolts are always a good idea. If the old ones come off without breaking, twisting or bending you can get away with re-using them, but it isn'r recommended. If you even hope to re-use them, start soaking them with PB Blaster every day for a week before you start the job.

Lastly, while the write-up you referenced says he gained 2", when I did this I gained 1-1/4" and one of the other guys in the North Atlantic Chapter gained 1-1/2". I think that's a more realistic expectation.

As mentioned in a previous thread, I just did this a little differently, shortening the second leaf of the donor set and adding it as a third. I didn't measure the gain, but I would guess I gained a couple of inches over the prior sag. On level pavement the Jeep now sits with a very slight rise at the rear. My U-bolts came off easily and I reused them.

Wow, so I just spent 2 hours trying to get the leafs off of a donor at a yard. NOT HAPPENING! Got one of the bolts off (of 4). Any tricks??

Also there is a dakota in the yard and easier to get to, as well as the bolts are coming right off. Are these the exact same leaf as the XJ? What leaf from the dakota is comparable to the main one off of the stock XJ pack?? Which one will give me around 1.5"?? What year dakota to take off of?

Thanks,

Kellen

Last edited:
The Dakota springs that are often recommended on the modified forum here are from the older body style Dakota, and those springs run under the axle. They are not equal to the XJ springs, they have more free arch and are useful as a way to get an inexpensive lift.

Supposedly the new body style Dakota is spring over, like the XJ, and those springs might work for what you have in mind. I haven't seen any write-ups on using them, so you may be a pioneer.

kellen said:
Wow, so I just spent 2 hours trying to get the leafs off of a donor at a yard. NOT HAPPENING! Got one of the bolts off (of 4). Any tricks??

Try the Bargains and Deals / Wanted area here on the board. People are giving away old springs all the time. My junk yard will remove stuff for a small fee. I just put in an AALeaf and had to cut one front bolt. I got an abrasive cut-off disk for my 4" angle grinder. Cuts the bolt completly thru in 20 seconds.

kellen said:

Also there is a dakota in the yard and easier to get to, as well as the bolts are coming right off. Are these the exact same leaf as the XJ? What leaf from the dakota is comparable to the main one off of the stock XJ pack?? Which one will give me around 1.5"?? What year dakota to take off of?

Thanks,

Kellen

The Dakota in question is the first and 2nd generation 88-96. I believe the v6/v8 shared the same rear spring. Not sure about the 4 popper.

Travis

Tim_MN said:
I just put in an AALeaf and had to cut one front bolt. I got an abrasive cut-off disk for my 4" angle grinder. Cuts the bolt completly thru in 20 seconds.
?????

What bolt did you have to cut? When doing an AAL the main leaf stays in the vehicle and there's no need to remove any bolts except the center pin that holds the leaves together. Were you referring to getting the donor springs out of a wreck?

Hey Eagle you seem to know this pretty well. Is it possible to remove the XJ main leaf and replace it with the dakota main leaf?? Everyone seems to be cutting the dakota leaf., why not just use it.

This is a neat idea and all but why don't you go to your local 4x shop and pick up an add a leaf set look for a bds, you can get the whole deal new center pins, spring clamps and aal for around 70 bucks...just seems easier to me, even though I am a complete do it yourselfer, just will save you a lot of frustration, and are good for 1.5-2"
:doh:

philsxj said:
Hey Eagle you seem to know this pretty well. Is it possible to remove the XJ main leaf and replace it with the dakota main leaf?? Everyone seems to be cutting the dakota leaf., why not just use it.
Length doesn't match up to the XJ.

Well I finished everything. I got a donor leaf set from a 96 xj w/ low miles. I decided to only use the leaf under the main leaf, as these leaf packs were eating the sawzall blades and they looked good. Initially I was 2" lower in the back then in the front. Now I am even, sitting at 31" (or 32, can't remember) from the ground, 17 from the center of the axle. Worked great. The ride is better, it seemed "bouncy" and floaty with the sagged springs, but now feels tighter, but not overly harsh. Then again it could be all in my head. Real simple, especially with lizards sheet. 2nd side only took 30 minutes, with hand tools.

Thanks all for the answers.

Kellen

Back