• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Brake Advise

Brian Carpenter

NAXJA Forum User
3 questions,
1st.. I have a 99 that needs a brake job.. parts store says $150 for the rotors and pads, a buddy who runs a 97 front axle swears it should be more like $50 for the same. Anyone priced these recently? Am I getting ripped off?

2nd.. Having a hell of a time getting the rear drums off. the slide right off the trail rig (88') but won't budge off the 99 Is there a gear or switch to take all pressure off the drums?

3rd... D-30 front rotors come in 2 sizes (30mm and 37mm?) how can you tell which is which? and is there a difference in the calipers? I want to make sure I get this all done right the first time.

This is the first real time i have had to use new parts fooling around with this stuff. Before it was always pull off, replace axle / add locker / replace other axle.. put back on. Any advise would be appreciated. :worship:
-bc

DaimlerChrysler started using composite rotors in 1990. They had a LOT of problems with them warping, and they finally got around to changing to a different type of rotor in what I thought was the 2000 model run. However, the change may have been mid-year 1999 so you may need your VIN to determine which is the correct rotor for your vehicle.

And the calipers (or the hubs, not sure which) are different for the new style rotors, so again I think you'll need the VIN to determine which is correct for your vehicle.

On the rears, there is probably a ridge built up at the edge of the drum where the shoews don't make contact. Back off on the star wheel adjuster all the way to retract the shoes and the drums should come off. They may be rusted solidly to the center of the axle hub. If that's the case, use a short length of 2x4 and a large hammer.

If i remember right, the star wheel is inside through the rubber access hole Do you know which way it turns or how far?
(am I looking at 45 revolutions?)

In 1999, XJs had either two-piece composites or one-piece cast rotors--the one-piece cast is usually the more expensive of the two, though it should only be around $10-20 bucks more each. Even the hubs for the one-piece cast units are more expensive.

Just to let ya know I have a 98 and there was a recall done on the brake rotors, i had the actual part of the rotor where the pads grab snap completely off, Jeep put in the new ones that aren't recalled for free...dunno if this applies to the year of your jeep, but just thought you might want to check into that.

Rear drums - release the emergency brake! Fooled me too. :dunce:

Well if you can't get your rotors replaced on recall then go to www.jcwhitney.com . They have cast rotors for around $20-$25 a piece and pads are around $30. That's teh best deal I've ever seen but check local parts stores too.

If one is replacing the rotors and hubs on a 99, could they just get cast rotors and hubs made for cast rotors and get away from composite altogether? ...or if you have composite(not sure which I have yet on my 99), do you have to stick with composite for some reason(besides the hub).

Thanks... :sunshine:

Back