• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 MJ front axle (dumb?) question

Gjeep

NAXJA Forum User
I need to make a selection on some replacement parts and was wondering if my 89 MJ 4.0L 4x4 is equipped with disconnected front axle or without. (What's the difference?)

disconnected front axles have a vacuum tube connected to the long side on top. It can be replaced with a cable giving the user a 2wd low gear without transmission or transfer case mods.
Basically if you look at it it'll appear to have a grapefruit sized thingy on the passenger side of the axle tube with a thingy coming off of it. thats where the disconnect is.
Command trac is a transfer case design.. chain-drive if I'm not mistaken.

Gjeep said:
I need to make a selection on some replacement parts and was wondering if my 89 MJ 4.0L 4x4 is equipped with disconnected front axle or without. (What's the difference?)
89 Command-Trac should have a disconnect.

The difference is that the non-disconnect axles don't have the sliding collar "thingie" on the passenger side shaft. The disconnect slightly reduces drag when in 2WD.

Eagle said:
89 Command-Trac should have a disconnect.

The difference is that the non-disconnect axles don't have the sliding collar "thingie" on the passenger side shaft. The disconnect slightly reduces drag when in 2WD.

glad you have a sense of humor..
We all love our "Thingys" now don't we? :smootch:

Brian Carpenter said:
glad you have a sense of humor..
We all love our "Thingys" now don't we? :smootch:
It has been confirmed by several long-time members of NAXJA that Eagle does NOT have a sense of humor. Let's not start any rumors.

Back