• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need an explanation on something...

TORX

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
So this weekend I was changing my differential fluid an figured i would see what the ID tags said on the differential. So I cleaned them up an read the front I noticed it said 3.07 which sounded normal for a manual. Then I did the rear tag an it said 3.08 why would there be a .01 difference. I realize its so small of a difference that it probably isnt even noticable an I'm not worried about it but Im just wondering what the reason for this is?

TORX

Just like 4.10 or 4.11 gears.

It is just a slight difference in gear and pinion size to how many teeth are on each and will calculate out slightly different, hence the different final ratios. Very common.

hinkley

You do realize that the front and rear differentials are NOT the same size, and maybe not even the same brand, right?

The front axles on XJ's are Dana 30's. The rear axles on the later XJ's are either a Dana 35 or a Chrysler 8.25 inch.

I know there not the same axle D30 front D35 rear I was just wondering why they wouldnt put 3.07s or 3.08 in both but like you said being there different axles means they most likey wont have the exact ratios. Makes sense thanks

TORX

Back