• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dumb MJ ?

Shanbo44

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 88 XJ and just bought an 86 MJ to use as a work truck. My questions are...

engine... 2.8 V6
Tranny ???
T-case... 207
Front axle ???
Rear axle ???

It is a manuel tranny, and it has the XLS package if that means anything.

And yes I did search.

Shanbo44 said:
I have an 88 XJ and just bought an 86 MJ to use as a work truck. My questions are...

engine... 2.8 V6
Tranny ???
T-case... 207
Front axle ???
Rear axle ???

It is a manuel tranny, and it has the XLS package if that means anything.

And yes I did search.
4 or 5-speed tranny? AX-4 = 4-speed...AX-5=5-speed. NP207 t-case. D30 front; the rear is probably a D35 but could be a D44...what's it look like? http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/gear1.html#axle

Actually, the heavy-duty axle in 1986 was not the Dana 44 but the AMC Model 20. It's easy to recognize -- it's HUGE, and the diff cover is a perfect circle. There's no predicting where it may show up -- there's a Shell gas station down the road that has an 86 MJ 4-cyl that they use for plowing the driveway, and it has the AMC Model 20 axle.

Yucca-Man said:
4 or 5-speed tranny? AX-4 = 4-speed...AX-5=5-speed. NP207 t-case. D30 front; the rear is probably a D35 but could be a D44...what's it look like? http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/gear1.html#axle

yucca, thanks I have been trying to find that page for an hour! It is a 35.

Its a 5 speed, and if its a D44 it would not last long in the MJ.

Last edited:
AMC20? No kidding? Was it the good one out of the SJ, with one-piece axles or was it the problematic CJ version?

Shanbo - glad I could help.

The big SJs are known to bend the tubes due to the big Jeeps' weight. The CJs are known to spin the 2-piece shafts due to whatever idiot thought up using 2-piece shafts. The MJ has neither of these issues. :D Plus, it's about as unique as axles get. Only one year, on one model, on one optional package. Most seem to come with 4.10 gears too.
Jeep on!
--Pete

This one is mine:
63359849.jpg

Back