• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear leaf bolts

BskisXJ

NAXJA Forum User
From what I have read the bolts for the rear leafs are 14mm, but what are the lenghts for them and are they coarse threads?

I am having trouble in getting the rear leaf and shackle bolts off. Soaked the bolts for weeks even with a impact wrench they still won't budge. I guess I'll have to cut them off. I read a thread about how to access the front leaf bolts in the body but not the rear ones. I guess I'll have to access them from the inside floor but cutting a hole.

Any other ides?

Last edited:
The front spring bolts are M14x2.0x120. I think they are all 3 the same. I just did an add-a-leaf on my 2000. The bolts are tightened to about 100 ft/lbs (and rusted) so I had to use a breaker bar and an extension to get them loose. I don't think most air wrenches are doing what they claim for ft/lbs. You only need to cut into the body for the front bolts if they break loose the weld nut on the inside. You will know if you have a problem right away, one of my bolts popped and came right out and the other one fought me every turn of the wrench. The bolt was frozen to the bushing inside the spring eye. I ended up getting it most of the way out and then cut the head off with an angle grinder and a 4" cutting disk. Then I pried apart the foward spring mount a bit so the leaf would come out with a prybar. The rears came loose right away. I think you could cut into the floor if you had to. I like to test destructive stuff at the junkyard before I try it on my own stuff.

Last edited:
I have read that you can get at the nuts (nutcert plate) for the rear leaf spring upper shackle bolts by removing the bumper, and reaching into the frame "rail". I was lucky- I just removed the spring from the shackle, not the shackle from the body.

4xBob said:
I have read that you can get at the nuts (nutcert plate) for the rear leaf spring upper shackle bolts by removing the bumper, and reaching into the frame "rail". I was lucky- I just removed the spring from the shackle, not the shackle from the body.
Mixed metaphor, Bob. The nut strip has nothing to do with the spring shackles, it's for the skid plate and/or Class 2 or Class 3 tow hitch.

Unless you're installing longer shackles, there is no need or reason to even touch the upper shackle bolt. Just remove the one through the spring eye and remove the spring.

hammerhead said:
Front spring eye bolts are 21 mm.
I know this cause I been fightin em all day,,,and ,so far losin.
21mm is slightly larger than 13/16". The spring bolts are not that large -- they are 14mm. Are you referring to the diameter of the bolt shank (which is how bolts are sized), or do you mean you use a 21mm socket to fit on the head?

hammerhead said:
Think my u bolt nuts are 18mm, going back at it today to work on the front eye bolt.
We're not talking about the axle u-bolts. We're talking about the striaght bolts that go through the spring eyes to hold the springs in the vehicle.

The stock axle u-bolts are 12mm.

Eagle said:
We're not talking about the axle u-bolts. We're talking about the striaght bolts that go through the spring eyes to hold the springs in the vehicle.

The stock axle u-bolts are 12mm.

yeah I know, all I'm saying is 21mm fits Front spring eyes on my 92 Leredo. Maybe aftermarket u bolts on mine I don't know.

FWIW 100mm bolts are long enough both ends if you have to replace them.

Also for completeness the captive nut is bigger than the other nuts and
bolt heads @ 24mm.

Back