• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help me decide!

nosajwp

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I've found two XJ's and I want to buy one, but I can't decide. I need your help. They both have all the typical options, but here are the main differences:

'01 Sport 4x4 Auto (44,000 mi) $14,000
Chry. 8.25" rear axle
Selec-Trac 4wd
Alloy 15" wheels
AM/FM/Cass/CD
5-star certified (8 yr/80,000 mi powertrain warranty)

'01 Sport 60th Anniv. Edition 4x4 Auto (54,000 mi)
Chry. 8.25" rear axle
Command-Trac 4wd
Alloy 16" wheels
AM/FM/Cass/CD
Tow Package
5-star certified (8 yr/80,000 mi powertrain warranty)

I liked Selec-Trac in the Liberty I used to have, but I also like the fact that the Anniv. Ed. had a transmission cooler all it's life.

What do you guys think? Which would you pick and why? 8.25" is a good axle, right?

They both sound OK if you drive AUTOS, personally I have not owned an auto tranny in over 20 years but then I keep my vehicles a long time and maintain them. I'd probably go with the one with the tow package but I'd also look and see if the hitch was actually used too.

I've always preferred 15" wheels to 16s, but that's really not that important. Will you be using it to go off-roading? If you want it more as a foul-weather vehicle, get the 60th Anniv, if you plan on off-roading on any tougher trails or building it up, I'd say to get the 1st one. The NP231 transfer case with Selec-Trac is supposed to be tougher. Or so I've heard.

BlackSport96 said:
I've always preferred 15" wheels to 16s, but that's really not that important. Will you be using it to go off-roading? If you want it more as a foul-weather vehicle, get the 60th Anniv, if you plan on off-roading on any tougher trails or building it up, I'd say to get the 1st one. The NP231 transfer case with Selec-Trac is supposed to be tougher. Or so I've heard.

The Selectrac is the 242... Commandtrac is the 231. There is only a marginal strength difference, and that is only a concern with extremely modified rigs.

I would say go with the Selectrac equipped Sport... you have less miles, a full time 4wd option, and more time left on the warranty. If it doesn't have a hitch, then it hasn't towed and the lack of a tranny cooler is a null issue. The AW4 auto in both these vehicles is a tough tranny and should be in perfect condition. If you plan to tow, you can easily add a hitch & tranny cooler.

Back