• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

starting question

biscuitboy87

NAXJA Forum User
this time no codes, but...
i did a search, but would like to narrow this down more before i go tearing into things.
i go out in the morning and turn the key (not to crank it but to get all the guages going and make sure the stereo isnt too loud...lol)
wait and then turn the key the rest of they way.
the starter engages and when i let go of the key disengages and the engine doesn't start. so i turn the key again and when i let go the starter make a loud noise (not like the grinding one would make trying to engage) and again the engine does not start. so third time is the charm, but its a hard start (not long, but longer than the usual instant gratification)...
this happened about a week ago and by changing the battery and plugs it went away for awhile...
this only happens in the morning, and for the rest of the day it startes up before i can let go of the key...
so what could it be?
i will start by checking the battery (slow cranking leads me to believe a drain on the battery somewhere) and charging system.
from there i will move on to the starter itself and take a look the connections there as well.
lastly i will have exhausted my knowledge and wonder if its the check valve thingy i read about in the search, which lets the gas flow back into the tank.

2000 auto 4.0
i almost forgot...
last time it did this it threw a misfire in the #6 cylinder (i thought the plugs were the culprit here)
TIA
Nim
this morning, however, no codes.

Back