• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replacing IR keyless with RF keyless?

Jeepin Jason

NAXJA Member #1100
The remote for my '95's keyless entry died (got soaked in coffee). I don't feel like buying another old remote off ebay for $40, and I'd like something with more than a 6' range, so I'd like to add an aftermarket keyless entry system.

I searched and didn't come up with much really. I don't really care about having an alarm system, just an RF keyless kit. I'd like to keep the project around $100 or less if possible.

Does anyone have any recommendations on brands, specific kits, where to buy, etc? I doubt there's such a thing as a plug-n-play kit huh?

Has anyone replaced the old IR system with a late model Chrysler RF system? Not that it would probably be worth the trouble, it'd just be nice to use an OEM remote.

I just bought the python 440hp. Good unit. Installation was free, but for every other option, ie horn honking, interior light flash, turn signal flash, was going to be extra. Unit was only 95 and works well. Even came with a starter kill and a LED, so its almost like an alarm, just w/o the annoying siren.
Week before bought a VALET model 561R (??), tried to put it in myself. Would have been easy to do, but I had bought the wrong relays like an idiot and didn't realize it. Unit felt cheaper than the Python.

Ebay search: universal keyless entry
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=75389&item=5722842085&rd=1

$25..

It's more than JUST a keyless entry.. but..
I've rigged one up, and put a wire so that it will light my parking lights when i hit the lock/unlock button. Mine is a 2 button, but i only use the 1. There are nicer ones out there, i'm sure. I don't think you need to spend the $100 to get it done.
And eventhough it will do a bunch of stuff, you don't have to have it do everything. It just takes a few wires to make the doors lock and unlock (2 for power, and i had one for lock, one for unlock, and one to light my lights)

Good luck
-Nick

I found this unit at JC Whitney:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ProductDisplay/s-10101/p-5430/c-10101

It's $25 and just keyless, no extra features.

I'm also looking at the Prestige APS255C which I've found for just under $50 on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14934&item=5723714231&rd=1

I don't care much about the alarm features, but I do like the illuminated entry and horn/parking light features. And I like the Prestige remote too -- yes, I'm anal about the remote :confused1 I'd use an OEM setup if I could because I like the new Chryco/Jeep remotes.

Is there a way if you decide to change systems to "uninstall" the factory alarm system? Mine on the '91 doesn't make noise anymore but still cuts off the ignition.

I bought one for ~$40 through Harbor Freight. I beleive it was a Cheeta unit.

Took all of about 10min to install and works 100% better then that IR crap.

mike

Back