• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

spray painting

paint ideas

• spray paint it save the cash

Votes: 78 72.9%
  • pay for a shinny paint job and forget the danna 44 i need

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • leave it how it is, a penny saved is a penny earned

Votes: 25 23.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmy forbes

NAXJA Forum User
i am wondering what you guys think of this, i plan on sanding, priming, then spraying my 89 cherokee. i am 19 years old, and feel stuff like tires, lift, armor and lockers are more important then paint, but the jeep does look rough. any way has anyone done this? any suggestions?
thanks
jimmy

I would say sand it and maybe prime it yourself, then bring it to maaco or somehing and get a decent cheap paint job.

Priming and sanding is a very tedeous job, just be ready for it if you plan on doing it all yourself. And use a good primer sprayed on with an air gun, not spray cans.

If it's going to be an extreme machine that you bash against the rocks, spray-paint it and save the money. If it's your daily driver and you want to get as extreme as you can but avoid body damage, do sand and primer yourself and do the Maaco cheap paint job.

My roomie rattle canned his YJ flat olive drab (Walmart style) last year to the tune of $16 and about 10hrs of time. Looked great till this winter when the snow and ice started to pull the paint of the old finish. He didn't prep it very well as far as sanding down the old clear coat or laying down some sort of primer to help adhesion. Anyway, spray cans will look fine if done properly in FLAT colors, I think that gloss color is too hard to get even, it will have the awful wavy look to it.

My choice: go for the can, it can't look worse than it does right? And then if you really mess it up you can do something different like having it painted ya know, and only be out the $20 or so. Maaco sucks though, my old truck was/is sporting that $199 job, and it started to peel with in 8mnths.

You GOTTA be kidding!

Don't even spend 100 dollars on a pro paint job.

If you do a good job with rattle can (and you can do the whole thing well in 10 hours or less, its not a whole weekend job), ,the only difference between it and professional, is your paints going to be flat not glossy.

Youd be throwing your money down the drain ig you went to crapcco, just do it yourself!

I did my own rattle can paint job on my 90 xj about 4 months ago. I did it b/c the clear coat was chiping off and it looked like crap and i am 20 and feel that money could be better spent on other stuff like new tires.

The hardest part was the prep work. i pulled off all the bages, and moldings, then ruff sanded the clear coat, then wet sanded every thing. the prep work will make the differance in the finle product. it took a hole weeked for me to do it (i took my time) but i think it looks great now. it took about 4 cans of primer for each side. (i thoght the black primer looked fine so thats all i pained it with) It lased fine threw the winter for me.

Hope this helps,
GZ32 90xj flat black

pic18.jpg

There is always this

Rev

"He didn't prep it very well as far as sanding down the old clear coat or laying down some sort of primer to help adhesion."

i actually do bodywork and primer doesn't help improve adhesion. what primer does is give you something to sand down to get a nice, smooth surface. if you're going to do a rattle can paint job, dont waste your time with this step cause it won't make much/any difference. if it were me, i'd spring for a cheap sears gun and some catalyzed one stage. you just mix the color with the catalyst and shoot it. make sure you sand EVERYTHING you expect paint to stick to cause if you dont, you might as well plan on having it all peel off. i'd go with 400 grit paper cause it'll leave very minute sand scratches and will go faster than 600. also, use water or "wetsand" it, it'll really increase the life of your paper. go to your local 3M dealer and get some sanding sponges. i'm pretty sure thats not what theyre really called but they're basically a 1/4" thick sponge with abrasive on one side. they work awesome up next to windows, trim, etc etc. also, when you go to shoot this thing, do it inside a building and get the walls, the floor, everything you can wet, this will help minimise the amount of dust that ends up in your paint. good luck.

alot of places $185 and maybe less can get you a decent paint job that will do the job. i am a fan of shooting it myself too but in reality you won't save a penny if you want it to look good. you'll probably spend twice as much in fact. now if you can be cool with a flat coat and the occasional run, overspray and clogged nozzle, go for it. i have painted 2 of my trucks and neither of which left money in my pocket to do them right. save your money and your tylenol.
just my 2 bits
Rockhound

ok yah, hadn't read homey's yet. i do agree with homey about his suggestions. if you have any experience with spraying, or even if you don't but are capable of catching on quick, i'd go that route. just because i think you'd have a blast with it. but if its rattlecan vs cheap job, i'd drop it off at maaco.

I rattle canned mine a year ago, and I feel it's one of the best things I've done. To be able to go through tight trails, trees, and brush with no concern for paint is just plain awesome. I'm 19 also, my MJ is all about function and I care very little about how it looks, but the paint job actually looks pretty good, Semi-Flat black. One thing I have learned, Rustoleum is far better than Krylon, and prep is everything!

It's also fun because you can randomly paint stuff on your truck, I let my 7 year old sister and some of her friends go at it with some spray paint one time (I had it all masked off), I drove it around for a week or two, then sprayed black back over it. I think I'm going to do OliveDrab green soon...

check this thread out "The best of Rattle Can paint jobs": http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=190280

Bedline IT!
picture.JPG

picture.JPG

Kejtar said:
Ok.. Heep... what did you use? and how did you do it? was it a profesionall shop? cause it definately doesn't look like rattle can nor brush on stuff to me...

Actually, me and my buddy did it in his garage.
Its ALL rattle Can!!!
Process:

-Fill dents with Bondo
-Sand down Paint with 80 grit -2 small orbital sanders
-Wipe Down Jeep with paint thinner
-2 coats of Rustoleum Auto primer (rattle can)
-Rough up with 180 grit
-Wipe off again with paint thinner
-Spray with Duplicolor Bedliner (stuff goes a long way) Do 2 coats pretty close, do the 3rd coat about 10-12" away for texture. This stuff lays great $7.00 a can 8 cans
-Paint with Implement Heavy Duty Tractor Paint (Massey Fergeson Grey) 3 coats of it. Its got some gloss in it. $2.99 a can Available at Tractor Supply

*The rubber trim that runs along the bottom was bedlined but not painted and all the trim pieces and hood vents are gloss black. I love it and I went to try and scrape it off wiht my fingernail and it sanded down my fingernail.

Heep said:
Actually, me and my buddy did it in his garage.
Its ALL rattle Can!!!
Process:

-Fill dents with Bondo
-Sand down Paint with 80 grit -2 small orbital sanders
-Wipe Down Jeep with paint thinner
-2 coats of Rustoleum Auto primer (rattle can)
-Rough up with 180 grit
-Wipe off again with paint thinner
-Spray with Duplicolor Bedliner (stuff goes a long way) Do 2 coats pretty close, do the 3rd coat about 10-12" away for texture. This stuff lays great $7.00 a can 8 cans
-Paint with Implement Heavy Duty Tractor Paint (Massey Fergeson Grey) 3 coats of it. Its got some gloss in it. $2.99 a can Available at Tractor Supply

*The rubber trim that runs along the bottom was bedlined but not painted and all the trim pieces and hood vents are gloss black. I love it and I went to try and scrape it off wiht my fingernail and it sanded down my fingernail.
wow.... you did one hell of a job... I use the duplicolor bedliner to do my wheel wells and some other stuff and I love it, but the way you used it I thought you got LineX or something like that on there....

Kejtar said:
wow.... you did one hell of a job... I use the duplicolor bedliner to do my wheel wells and some other stuff and I love it, but the way you used it I thought you got LineX or something like that on there....

Thanks, it turned out sooo much better than I thought it would. Its tough stuff

Heep said:
Thanks, it turned out sooo much better than I thought it would. Its tough stuff
How's the cleaning of it? I have parts of my XJ herculined, and there I limit myself to spraying it down with water and if needed spraying some flat black rattle can paint on top :D

Not sure yet, just finished it last week and it wont get dirty for a while since its awaiting 9" and 36" Iroks and dual44's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back