• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

u-joint / axle yoke size comparison 93 - 99 8¼

Dano

NAXJA Member #1269
seems the youuke is a bit bigger on the '99 8¼ than what was in the '93 driveshaft.

Should they be the same? what's the deal?

'99 4.0 AW4 3.55
'93 4.0 AX15 3.07

(I swapped the 99 axle to the 93 after gearing a D44 to 4.56)
:bunny:

Yeah, they should be the same - 1310 u-joint in each. Are you talking about the cup that the u-joint cap sits in, or the strap that runs across the top, holding it in place?

cup, ear to ear, ended up that the yoke was worn out and got swapped in for another one from a buddy's...

There are a few undocumented XJ's that came from the factory with 1330 joints at the rear pinion yoke... my '97 Sport w/ D35 was an example. It had 1310's everywhere else. Chrysler has no record of this, because all they have listed is the 1310 joint; Tom Woods mentions it on his site somewhere, so I'm not the only one. The 1330 has the same cup diameter with a larger span distance.

I discovered this the hard way... I was getting driveline vibes that I eventually tracked down to a worn yoke... the replacement yoke I got was for a 1310. I already had my shaft modified for the home brew SYE, so I had to track down a 1310-1330 adaptor joint. Solved the problem.

Back