• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Easy D35 question

WI88XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I wanted to pick up a spare axle for my '88 D35 non c-clip diff. I thought that both sides were the same. As I scan the classifieds for a spare, I see that people are listing them by what side they are.

Is there a difference or can I just carry one axle for both sides?

Thanks!

WI88XJ,

The easiest way is to call the dealer parts guy, just tell him you want to carry a spare axle shaft for when you go wheeling. Ask him to verify if the same part number works on both sides.

If they are showing up different in the ads then I'd guess they shafts are the same length but the end plate you bolt on to hold the shaft in place may have a left and right orientation.

Martin

Aaaaah!! Call the stealership! I didn't think to do that. I'm just so used to getting my info from here. I trust this board a lot more then the dealerships (I will say that the one near me seems to know a bit about these Jeeps) I'll give them a call and see what they say.

I believe you're right about the plate being left or right side. I've had them out before but I never bothered to check that. They look the same and they're the same length.

Thanks Martin! :)

My non-clip D35s all have one axle shaft longer than the other. There doesn't appear to be any difference between the retaining plates though.

If I where you I'd be worried if both my axle shafts where the same length.

Hmmmm!

You know, now that you mention it, I thing the driver side would have to be a little bit longer. Can't be much though. I've had the axles out twice but I never really checked that out. I believe the driver side has to go in farther to engage the lunch-box locker. If I'm wrong, somebody correct me. I still haven't had time to call the stealership. I'm at work and I only have time to check here once in a while. (well, I really don't have the time, I just make it:compwork: :compwork:

Thanks!

Well, I guess that answers my questions. I guess I'll have to carry 2 shafts.

Thanks guys!!! Now you know why I come here for answers instead of the stealership!! :wave:

Back