• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

heater/AC/vent problems (i searched)

bradlyw

NAXJA Forum User
Background Info: '87 XJ 4.0L AW4

welll to put it simply i guess, i cant get any airflow out of my vents. The only time i can get any airflow at all is when the Jeep is moving i get a very very small amount of air through the defrost. And the pressure of the air doesnt change when i turn the airflow "dial" from low to high or anything in between.

Now, i've found a couple leaking vacuum lines and fixed those, and now i just dont get any air at all. No matter what setting its on, i cannot get any flow at all out any of the vents.

Winter is on its way and i'm freaking out thinking i'm not going to be able to get the heat working by then. So any and all help is appreciated. Thanks

Brad

There's a good possibility that either your blower motor is dead, or the resistor pack that controls the blower speeds is dead.

The blower motor is on the passenger side of the firewall, down below the plastic coolant bottle. Simple 2-wire plug connection and three screws hold it in place. I'd suggest removing it and hot wiring it direct to the battery to see if it runs. If so, on to troubleshooting the control circuit. If it doesn't run, you've found the problem.

The original blower on my '88 died a couple or three years ago, so it would not surprise me if yours has bought the farm, since yours is a year older than mine.

Hi Brad,

I had a VERY similar problem and it turned out to be the A/C fan that is located under the dash. If this is your problem, the good thing is, a replacement only costs about $35 from a local Discount Auto store, and if you have basic handyman skills and tools, it only takes about 15 minutes to do the swap out - FWIW, the dash DOES NOT have to come out.

An easy way to check if that is the problem, is to just take it to an A/C repair shop and get them to do a diagnosis on the system. When I had mine checked out, it cost me about $25 for the guy to confirm what it was.

Hope this helps.

Quarterwave

I just fixed the same type of problem on my 85. No flow at all. As Eagle mentioned, it was the resistor pack ( the little dial for the air flow speed ) You can pull it and check the connector. The contacts on mine were burned but not destroyed.The pack was toast, though. It was a simple swap in of a new resistor pack... works fine now. Hope this helps.

Eagle,

i wired the blower directly to the battery and nothing at all happened so i'm guessing thats the problem. When i go to get a new one, i've found one for $23 which is new. Is this the only part i need, or do i need to replace something else when i replace this?

edit: so i plugged it back into its harness and turned the car on and it started working. Then i turned the car back off, then on again. Nothing happened. Does this sound like the motor going south? seems to make sense to me.

Brad

Last edited:
... also, when replacing the motor, what do i do with the hose on the bottom of the motor? do i just detach it from the motor.... or does it come off somewhere else???

Brad

Back