• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sylvania Silver Star Sealed Beams

bustednutz

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone put these in their XJ yet. They claim to be very white and bright light. But at $20.00 a piece, I don't want to get ripped off.
I also see on eBay lots of headlight conversion kits to H4 beams. They look kinda cheep though.
Any thoughts?

Thanks

Skip the conversion.

SilverStars are awesome... I just put mine in a couple weeks ago, and between those and my 55w bumper lights, it feels like a have a lighthouse strapped to my front bumper.

You can spend a lot of money on those conversion kits, and IMO - the sealed beams are JUST as effective and a whole lot easier and cheaper. You can add a set of 55/110w driving lights to your bumper with the SS's for less than the cost of the conversion kit, much less the bulbs... A lot of people do the conversion and end up putting in the SS H4 bulbs, which I don't understand they are they same thing, and the bulbs alone are $20/each!!! I'm sure you'll get a bunch of different opinions, but the SS's work great for me and I have terrible night vision. You can usually find them on sale at AAP or AZ and get the set for around $30 if you are patient for a week or two. Do NOT waste your money on the GE "super blue" or "hi output white" bulbs. They suck.

If you do end up with the sealed beams, don't forget to wire brush the contacts and use some dialectic (spark plug) grease on the connections to prevent corrosion.

ive had them for about 6 months was well worth the money and alot easyer than converting to h4 if you need more light than the silerstars just add driving lights

For the cost and convience the sliver star sealed beams are OK, I put a set in one of our TJ's just before we headed to cape cod and I could pick my son's TJ out of the afternoon traffic on 95 just by the brighness. I have Hella E codes in my 98XJ, currently running 55/65W H4 plain jane's for bulbs, been too lazy to order another set of xenon bulbs. The main difference between the Silver stars and the Hellas as well as othe others like CIBIE and IPF, are the lense pattern. The silver stars are still the same old crudd design that sealed beams have been using forever, just brighter though they did put some light blocking so the low beams don't blind oncoming drivers. I may head down to AA and pick up a set of silver star H4 bulbs and give them a try in my hellas though thats a $40+tax gamble when I know the xenon bulbs from susquehanna will work well at $15 ea.
Tie the whole thing in with a good set of AIMED fogs and your night driving will be tranformed. The aiming of the fogs is very important though, too high and they don't light the road up in front of you, **** off oncoming driver, too low and you end up with a dead spot between the top of the fogs and the bottoms of the hella E codes. I have the hella 450's now but did have the 550's, the 450's put out the same pattern as the 550s only in a smaller package.
As for difficulty of converting, the converting is the same cept you have to put the H4's bulbs in the housings before you plug them in otherwise as long as you stay below 100w output the factory harness, if it's in good condtion, will work fine, just clean the headlight sockets with a burnishing tool or very fine small matchbook striker sized file and use dielectric grease so they don't corrode.

Last edited:
I've been running Silverstars for a couple of years now - one set on my car, one set on my XJ (in fact, swapping out the factory lights for the Silverstars was the first change I made). Love 'em. Aimed properly, the type and amount of light they give off is vastly superior to stock and noticeably better than 'high-output' filament bulbs. RichP is dead right about a good set of driving lights complementing them.

If you're looking for something to rival HID, this is not it - if you expect it to, you'll be disappointed. If you just want a cheap & easy light upgrade that is noticeably better, though, this is a good route to take.

For comparison's sake, here's a 6054 Xenon HID Kit for $500 - not a bad price for that kit, but it makes the Silverstars look real attractive on a price:performance ratio.

I disagree with "skipping" the H4 conversion, HOWEVER as far as I can tell the only H4 conversion that's worth having (IMHO) is the Hella unit. I used the E-code Hellas w/PIAA bulbs and am very happy. I hear good things about the Silver Stars too.
icon7.gif

I just replaced my stock lights with the Sylvania's. I'm pretty happy with them.. the beam is noticably whiter and spreads better. And for the money compared to a HID, you can't go wrong. When I need more light, I just throw the switch on my Dick Cepek 100w lights :D Off road of course... hehe

The new IPF 820H housings came out this week, complete with DOT approval. ;)

We've found they do best with the PIAA Xtreme White bulbs in them.

Just put a set in my 94 last week, replacing the sylvania xtra visions that had been in for like 4 years(they weren't kidding). I like them alot, turned on the lights after replacing just one to see the difference, and it's not jaw-dropping but definitely noticable. I was going to upgrade to IPF's but decided this was more cost-effective. They also appear to provide more light to the side of the road as mentioned above. BTW, I purchased mine at my local Meijer(Indianapolis) and although they were marked $19.99 on the shelf they rang up $14.99. If you have Meijer's nearby you might check it out.

Buy the Silverstars - you won't be disappointed.

i ran a set for a year in my Cherokee - loved them and they were a huge improvement in my '94's lighting.

Sold the Cherokee and I'm picking up another set shortly for the MJ I bought. I was always impressed with how bright they were - it didn't matter how old they got, you couldn't look directly at them on low beam without thinking, "Wow! Those are a LOT brighter than stock!"

better pattern on the road and more light output than stockers, too.

Where can you get these E- code Hellas? I am debating between Silverstars and something more elaborate. I've also got to do the wiring upgrade, but haven't found anyone who can give a step by step on it.

JeepsterXJ said:
Where can you get these E- code Hellas? I am debating between Silverstars and something more elaborate. I've also got to do the wiring upgrade, but haven't found anyone who can give a step by step on it.

www.rallylights.com

No, that's the US / DOT version.

Here's the E-Codes : http://catalog.com/susq/hella/hdlmpprc.htm#200

(Go about 3/4 of the way down the page. Your looking for the "200mm Rectangular (5¼" x 7¼") H4 (Hi/Low beam)"

I recommend using some PIAA or Silver Star H-4 bulbs with these.

NOTE: If your state still has vehicle inspections and you get an anal inspector, you could fail inspection if they actually know the difference between an E-Code and a DOT lamp.

icon7.gif

JeepsterXJ said:

crystalship1 said:
I recommend using some PIAA or Silver Star H-4 bulbs with these.

NOTE: If your state still has vehicle inspections and you get an anal inspector, you could fail inspection if they actually know the difference between an E-Code and a DOT lamp.

icon7.gif
Its actually cheaper to go with the bulbs that they have, by about $30.

I'm from MI, so there are no inspections (yea!)

If I got the 100/80w units you would think that I would have to upgrade the wiring to get the full effect though.

JeepsterXJ said:
If I got the 100/80w units you would think that I would have to upgrade the wiring to get the full effect though.
Not just to get full effect. You need beefed up wiring just to prevent the existing plugs from melting.

Back