• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiator Fan fuse

MikeU

NAXJA Forum User
Where is the fuse for the radiator fan for a 88XJ? I don't see one on the fuse box and I know that there has to be one. My electric fan does not come on when the AC come on.
Help.
MikeU

Mike,

On the 88 XJ the electric fan is turned on when the AC clutch is engaged OR when the temp in the cold tank of the radiator reaches 190F. You will see the swich located between the two ATF cooler lines, it has approx a 1-1/4 hex on it.

There is a relay that controls the fan operation. I would start there. If you plan on keeping this XJ then call the 800 number for Chrysler techauthority and buy the electrical troubleshooting manual, it cost $20. Less than a year ago I checked and chrysler still had all the 88 manuals available.

I would trace the circuit with a multimeter and verify the operation.

You may want ot unplug the cold tank sensor for the electric fan and jumper the pins with the engine off then start the engine to see if your fan comes on. If it does not come on then I'd take a look at the relay. If it does come on that tells you it in the portion the AC system controls.

Get the AMC/Jeep troubleshooting manual, it's worth it's weight in gold. I'll never give mine up as long as I hae my 88 XJ.

Martin

Thanks

Thanks for the advice. I was hoping that it was not a problem with the wiring but it sounds like it is. I have a switch to run the fan when the AC is off on hot days so that is what I am using right now but I would like to fix it right. I will look into getting the trouble shooting manual.
MikeU

The Electric Fan relay is on the left fender wall. If you jumper pin 30, and 87 the fan should come on. This will tell you if pin 30 has power. If the fan comes on it most likely your relay is bad.

That was it

Thank you very much. That was the problem. I switched the relay with one out of another XJ and the fan came on like it was supposed to. I am off the the parts house for a new one.
I can always depend on getting a good answer here.
Thanks again.
MikeU

Back