• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

brake problems

BAMCHEROKEE88

NAXJA Member #976
I lost most of my braking power tonight on the way home. The brake only works when the pedal is almost on the floor. I checked the fluid level when I got home and the forward well was empty. The rearward well was full. Any thoughts?? I can`t see any fluid leaks anywhere along the lines, brake calipers, or around the master cylinder.

Check the wheel cylinders, if the adjusters aren't working and the pads are worn thin the wheel cylinders will over expand and push the piston passed the seal. Clean the dirt off the piston and push it back in, adjust the brakes free up the adjusters and replace the shoes if worn. You can replace the cylinder if you want but 9 times out of ten you can clean the old one put it back together and be fine. once it is back together just put the drum on and pump the brakes a few times to verify it is not leaking.

Thanks for the help guys, but it turned out that the master cylinder that was replaced in April failed. It was still under warranty, so no charge. I still don`t know where the fluid ended up going?

If there are no visible leaks anywhere in the braking system,you can almost bet it leaked into the powerbrake booster.Brake fluid and the diaphgram in the booster "DO NOT PLAY WELL WITH EACH OTHER" The hydralic fluid will cause the diaphgram to deteriote(sp?)and you will lose the "POWER" but not the braking.Brakes will work,but more like a manual system w/o power.

Back