• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

180* thermostat

ve6nn

NAXJA Forum User
I've seen ads in some of the mags for a 180* thermostat for the 4.0L. Anyone tried this and if so does it help keep temp down in engine compartment.

I will be spending the winter months in Arizona. Do I need to add a transmission cooler to my XJ? If so how is it tapped in?

I have a 180* from the dealer. Most people think that thats a beter Tstat because it has the hole in it for the flow. Depending on whay year your XJ is, you may already have a transmission cooler. My 89 came with one stock from the factory. Do all years have this? Hope that limited info helped.

From my experiance the 180 theromstat dosnt make the engine run cooler, only fluctuate temps. I have used the 180 and stock, I run the stock. Just my experiance though.

Stay with the stock one. I ran a 180 and the XJ actually ran worse. I talked to my mechanic and he said that they are suppose to run a 210, or the computer thinks that the engine is running to cool, so it runs rich, and kills you milage. Lets face it most of use need all the help we can get in the MPG department.

Thanks for the info. Will leave well enough alone.

jrsxj98 said:
Stay with the stock one. I ran a 180 and the XJ actually ran worse. I talked to my mechanic and he said that they are suppose to run a 210, or the computer thinks that the engine is running to cool, so it runs rich, and kills you milage. Lets face it most of use need all the help we can get in the MPG department.
Thats right and the you should have a 195* one in there. Any less and the computer will stay in open loop mode as it is waiting for it to warm up enough! What this means is that the o2 sensor is not even read at all !!

Back