• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing a windshield

Overdriven

NAXJA Member #1020
Is it possible to replace a windshield as a DIY. Have a good windshield on a 96 that I'd love to put on my 88 but I don't want to break it as I take it out. That is some serious sticky stuff in there.

I don't want to have to pay someone else to do it if I don't have too.

Thnx.

I know the pro's use special knives and tools, and I think you would be very hard pressed to replicate a decent seal without the proper equipment. Even they break the glass upon removal, sometimes. I may be wrong, but I think it would be cheaper to have it done, than to collect all the necessary tools, and still risk breaking the glass.

TEXJ said:
Is it possible to replace a windshield as a DIY. Have a good windshield on a 96 that I'd love to put on my 88 but I don't want to break it as I take it out. That is some serious sticky stuff in there.

I don't want to have to pay someone else to do it if I don't have too.

Thnx.

I'd have someone do it... that way if it DOES leak you can blame him, and the shop can do it over again.

If you really want to do it your self- I suggest two methods. 1. get some strong guage mechanics or piano wire. Either shove the wire through the seal or use an exacto knife to get the wire through. Once the wire is through have someone on the outside and inside pull the wire together around the seal. I suggest drilling a hole in a dowl and wrapping the wire around that, so you don't tear your hand up.

2. I fabbed a hot knife with a soldering iron and a wire much like in #1. One person has the iron w/ wire attached and the other manipulated the wire around the outisde of the vehicle. I have never used this technique on a jeep only demo derby cars, but it should work.

I had my wildshield replaced today on a comprehensive claim from a rock hitting my windshield so luckily it was free replacement. Anyway, I watched the guy do it and there's no way I could do it without his tools. He had about four or five specific tools that you would need to do a professional job. He had this really cool battery powered caulk gun type thing for applying the bead for the sealant. :D

It is possible to do. This is not to say it's recommended.

I still have in my barn the windshield that Harwood ("Eagle") and I took out of an 89 that was about to be deroofed. We broke a lot of piano wire, and a few custom-edged hacksaw blades, and did a lot of sweating. It's even possible that expletives were uttered. It can be really really hard to coordinate the wire-pulling and to get the angles just right. The guys at the local boneyard I often go to have been doing this job for years, but they still occasionally lose one.

One important caveat, if you do decide to do it. Resist the temptation to pry or pull the windshield out as you progress. It will not flex. It will break. Also remember that you'll need the correct adhesive/sealant for the job, and it isn't cheap. A windshield is an important safety item and must be done right.

I'd say go ahead and do it provided that you're comfortable with the strong possibility that you'll break the donor windshield in the attempt, and either way will probably end up sweating and bloody and vowing for at least a good long time never to do it again. It builds character.

My brother and dad have done this on a couple of rigs (an older porsche 911, a '79 chevy van and a '61 ford pickup). Every time they get done they swear they'll never do it again, but each time it comes up they decide to just do it themselves. I've heard that on XJ's the trim setup is different than on any of these rigs, which makes it tougher for the DIY'er, but not impossible with the right tools.

Good luck and post a writeup if you do it. My XJ needs to be replaced and I can probably bribe my brother and dad into helping somehow. :)

I did it once on a 86 vw golf. Blood and sweat was the order of the day! Taking it out is by far the hardest part even if it's already broken. Trim pieces are another matter altogether. I just had the windshield replaced on my 96 XJ and the first thing they did was slice the rubber trim to pieces. They had a new rubber trim piece they first attatched to the new glass. It cost me $165 for a new one and two guys had it done in 35 mineuts. Thats's the only way to fly!

JoBo

I was just about ready to do it my self until I saw that you paid $165 to have it done. That is worth the insurance of it leaking and what not. my current windshield is broken and I know I'll tear myself up taking it out. And the doner vehicle stinks so bad I have no desire to spend any serious amount of time in it.

Think I'll save my pennies up to just before inspection time and have it done.
Thanks for everyone's replies.

I do this for a living...and I DO NOT recommed that anyone attempt replacing their own windshield, rear quarters or back glass on most late model vehicles...Why? Simply because there is more there than just keeping the wind out of your hair and the bugs outta your teeth. Anymore the Windshield is used as a structural part and is designed to save your life in the event of a roll over...if it's improperly installed, that windshield could release causing you and anyone else in the vehicle to either be ejected or squished in the twisted wreckage as the roof crushes in...not a pretty sight

Simply put this is not a DIY job...most other jobs on your rig can easily be done for those of us that have little to no knowlege other than a manual...Most glass is not...If you don't properly clean, prep, prime and use properly matched adhesives you're asking for leaks, or worse.

It's worth taking it to someone else and let them take the responsibility and liability down the road if it's not done correctly...What's a hundred or two hundred bucks weighted against your family and their safety?

Matt

Also forgot to mention....

There are different part numbers for a 96 Windshield v.s. the 88...the sizes are the same, but I've never compared the two...usually the two different part numbers mean the shade bands, frits and vin notches are different from one another....

Matt

mdwatkins said:
I do this for a living...and I DO NOT recommed that anyone attempt replacing their own windshield, rear quarters or back glass on most late model vehicles...Why? Simply because there is more there than just keeping the wind out of your hair and the bugs outta your teeth. Anymore the Windshield is used as a structural part and is designed to save your life in the event of a roll over...if it's improperly installed, that windshield could release causing you and anyone else in the vehicle to either be ejected or squished in the twisted wreckage as the roof crushes in...not a pretty sight

Simply put this is not a DIY job...most other jobs on your rig can easily be done for those of us that have little to no knowlege other than a manual...Most glass is not...If you don't properly clean, prep, prime and use properly matched adhesives you're asking for leaks, or worse.

It's worth taking it to someone else and let them take the responsibility and liability down the road if it's not done correctly...What's a hundred or two hundred bucks weighted against your family and their safety?

Matt

I tend to agree, but it is possible for an amateur to do the job properly with the correct adhesives and other chemicals. I wouldn't recommend it for the faint of heart anyway, and if you buy the correct stuff at retail it will eat up much of the saving on a DIY job. I've done it a couple of times in the past, when the price of a junkyard windshield and all the proper PPG goops and solvents was still several hundred below having a shop do it, but windshield prices have come down so low that it's hard to justify any more.

On the other hand, the hatch and quarter glass on an XJ are gasketed, and installed without adhesive, quite safe and easy to do at home. And the price for an XJ rear hatch glass is outrageous. When my stepson broke his, he was quoted over $400. You could buy a whole running clunker with good glass in it for less than that, and the job can be done literally in minutes.

Back