• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help: lock tight on spring bolts?

clay

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought some new bolts (main eye and shackle ends) for my RE leafs on my 1995 XJ. I got the bolts from the dealer, couldn't find anything close at the hardware store. I just picked them up and they have a sticky red slime on them. The parts guy at the dealer said that it was "lock tight". Do I want this on these bolts? Will this make adjusting these things impossible or just more difficult? Any suggestions on how to get it off?

Yes, you *DO* want the thread locker. Unless you're removing the leaf pack completely, you won't be pulling these bolts. Get them tight, and keep them tight.

Just torque them to specs. The loc-tite shouldn't hurt anything.

You can (and should) still use anti-sieze on the bolt shanks -- the smooth part that ends up inside the steel bushings. Many people find when trying to remove their springs that the bolts are solidly welded to the sleeves by rust.

Eagle said:
You can (and should) still use anti-sieze on the bolt shanks -- the smooth part that ends up inside the steel bushings. Many people find when trying to remove their springs that the bolts are solidly welded to the sleeves by rust.

I'd like to thank my 1 owner in ohio rig for that. RUSTED harder than ______ (fill in the blank) :gonnablow

I put a little grease from a grease gun (you know the type that you put on zerk fittings?) in there in the hopes that it wont sieze... after all the greasable shackle does the same thing right?

Back