• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dumb newb question - manual transmission

XJ_ranger

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
what types of manual transmissions were offered. i heard the ax-15, is there an earlier model? trying to figure out what i have, to see what the possibility of a 5.0 swap from a mustang is.

thanks in advance

There's also an AX-5 behind 4 cyls, and earlier was the Peugeot BA10/5. Peugeots are to be avoided, especially with anything bigger than a stock 4.0l.

forgot to add my specs... duh

92 2 door
off road package
5 spd
4.0 ho
231 t case
d30/35
base model

You have the AX15. Also for reference, model year '99 saw the introduction of the NV3550.

jldiaz said:
Sorry for barging in.....

How can I tell an AX15 from an NV3550?

By the year of the rig, UNLESS someone has already done the swap. NV3500 has an externaly mounted hydraulic clutch cylinder on the side.AX-15 should be internal. I've got a 91 and its internal on the trans. and they used a similar set up through 99.

I used to have a '94 and it was external.....

I now have a '01, but not US-built. They change things in diferent countries. It looks (I think) much like the one my '94 had, but I'd like certainty on this matter. Isn't there something on the outside of the gearbox itself to tell them from each other?

red91inWA said:
By the year of the rig, UNLESS someone has already done the swap. NV3500 has an externaly mounted hydraulic clutch cylinder on the side.AX-15 should be internal. I've got a 91 and its internal on the trans. and they used a similar set up through 99.
93 and earlier AX15 transmissions had internal slaves, later models had externals.

XJ_ranger said:
forgot to add my specs... duh

92 2 door
off road package
5 spd
4.0 ho
231 t case
d30/35
base model

You definitely have the AX15. Ratios are 1st 3.83, 2nd 2.33, 3rd 1.44, 4th 1.00, 5th 0.79. Axle gears are 3.07:1.

I have a 92 4.0 5spd but the tranny had been replaced by the previous owner so I have no idea what it is. could someone post some good clear pics of the ax-5 and the ax-15 so we can do a visual and see?? Also the ax-15 is bigger so how about some mesaurements?

Thanks

Back