• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ball joint help

MjTjNJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, first the mistake. I tried to press out the lower ball joint - with great force - the WRONG way before I realized it was the wrong way. Pressed it out no problem after that. Pressed in the new lower ball joint until it was flush with the yoke, took off the press, and it's not even on top. Is this a problem? Did I fubar the yoke? I pressed it back out and in again, and it seems to be the same. If I make it even on top, it's not flush on the bottom. I figured it was more important to have the bottom flush, so I left it. Also, I can slightly move the lower stud with my hands and the pressed-in new upper won't budge. Problem?
FINALLY, the lower came with the sleeve and a snap ring. What's the snap ring for?
Thanks a ton
"I was just checking the ...specs on the ..end line....I'm retarded." - Tommy Callahan

The snap ring is for another vehicle. The stub on new ball-joint should be tight. Don't worry about changing that threaded sleeve, its probably rusted on.

MjTjNJ said:
I can slightly move the lower stud with my hands and the pressed-in new upper won't budge. Problem?
FINALLY, the lower came with the sleeve and a snap ring. What's the snap ring for?
Thanks a ton

This is not a problem it is by design. Remember if you got a greaseable lower to grease it before you install the axle shaft. Forget the snap ring. You can replace the threaded sleeve if you want to but u need a special tool or a couple flat screw drivers to twist it out of the knuckle. You need to make sure to put it back in spec with the instructions in your service manual.

Matt

Back