• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cherokee 4x4 full time?

regev

NAXJA Forum User
is ther such a creature? i'd like to buy one. need the knowledge of you serious unibodi lovers,thanks in advance...

OEM tech...

242 t-case has full time 4x4. welcome to naxja

Last edited:
select_trac_xj93sport.jpg

this is out of a 93 sport
jeep_select_trac_image02.jpg

For those not familiar with the transfer case model numbers, the names for the systems are as follows:

Commandtrak is the part time system using the model 231 transfer case.

Selectrak is the full time system with part time and 2wd functions, using the 242 transfer case.

The '84-'86 models years used different transfer cases to achieve the same functionality, but it is pretty much a moot point since most vehicles you will be looking at will be of the newer vintage.

Good luck!

I have a '97 Cherokee with a 242 but i dont have a choice between part or full time, yet the guage cluster has both lights. What t-case has part or full for this year?

Osprey413 said:
I have a '97 Cherokee with a 242 but i dont have a choice between part or full time, yet the guage cluster has both lights. What t-case has part or full for this year?

Should be the 242. FWIW, in this year the cluster will have both full- and part-time lights regardless of which transfer case was used, but if it's a 231 the full-time light won't be wired in.

I'm trying to figure out how you have a 242 with no full-time position, though.

I stand corrected.:worship: I have the 231. Now for the next question. Would a 242 simply bolt in inplace of a 231 or would I have to do some modifications to make it fit?

I have heard that the 231 has stonger output shafts than the 242. The 242 is nice in rain and snow but if you plan on running 35" tires, plan on going with the 231, or, in your case, sticking with it.(i think)

jeepinxj05 said:
I have heard that the 231 has stonger output shafts than the 242. The 242 is nice in rain and snow but if you plan on running 35" tires, plan on going with the 231, or, in your case, sticking with it.(i think)

Where are you getting your info, I had run 36" Swamper radials (heavier than my 38.5 bias) and my tansfer case never failed and hasn't shown any signs of damage.

The strength of the 231 over the 242 isn't really a concern of mine sense this is my DD and I don't plan on lifting it over 4.5" ever. The biggest tires this will see for quite some time is 31/10.5/15. As for the rain and snow part, that is why I was wondering if it is a direct replacement. I would like to have that ability.

no no no, you miss understood me. I meant that I didn't really care that the 231 was stronger than the 242. I know that it is, it's isn't as complicated so it must be. I was just saying that i would like to have the part time 4wd, and that it meant more to me than strength.

hijack alert.

Just curious, anyone know what was the selec-trac t-case from 84-86? I have the command-trac np207 in my '85. Nobody ever talks about this or the other t-case. I couldn't imagine they were any better than the 231/242, but who knows, maybe they changed them to go cheaper? Anyone know anything about these t-cases?

sorry im kinda new. whats the differance between full time and part time? my jeep only has the part time. ( i have a 93 2 door manual) saw a 90 auto with the full time thing on it wasnt sure what the differance was

bocaj said:
sorry im kinda new. whats the differance between full time and part time?

Part Time is intended for use on surfaces with low traction (mud, sand, snow, etc.); Full Time is meant for primarily high-traction (road) surfaces. The main difference is that the NP242 adds a locking centre differential behind the transfer case. In full-time mode it's open, allowing both axles to rotate independently of each other - which prevents binding as one driveshaft tries to move faster than the other. With the centre diff locked, both driveshafts rotate at the same speed, giving the same Part-Time mode as on a 232 (which doesn't have a centre diff, but rather direct drive to both driveshafts).

Unless I am mistaken (which I very well may be) Full Time 4wd sends power to both axles all the time, while part time allows for some slip so you can drive in high grip situations without breaking stuff. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Whys it matter that much? Its shift on the fly, so if your rear wheels cant grip the road just pull the lever back, and your moving.
4wheel drive prevents you from getting stuck, nothing else.
It doesnt mean you wont, and you have to change your driving style when driving in such conditions that require 4wd.
I'm not sure what this post started from, where you asking what they were? Or were you looking for some sort of miracle machine, and you thought the full time 4wd was the answer?

Just for the record, the part-time position in a jeep is just that, four wheel drive for Part of the time and the Full-time position is for full time four wheel driving. So contrary to what you might think the part time position is when the output shafts are completely locked and turn at the same rate and in the full time position there is some differentiation between front and back

Osprey413 said:
Unless I am mistaken (which I very well may be) Full Time 4wd sends power to both axles all the time, while part time allows for some slip so you can drive in high grip situations without breaking stuff. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Uh, you're wrong :) Actually, you're partially-right: both modes send power to both axles, but Full-Time allows power to transfer from axle to axle as necessary. Further, Part-Time is the 'standard' mode, common to both the 232 and 242. Full-Time is the 242's additional mode, similar to AWD.

Back