• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

unibody strength

retard_ed_1

NAXJA Forum User
how much of these acutaly unibody strength comes from the floor, mine rusted all to hell and i just want to know if i can just weld some floor metal in or is there something special i have to do, im also developing crack near the rear spring mounts, it that bad?

ever drilled a hole through the floor?

the unibody is a joke.

I bashed my rocker this past weekend at Paragon, and completely buckled the floor. :rolleyes:

Cutting out rust, and welding in new floor pans is the correct way to do it.

Last edited:
retard_ed_1 said:
when i say a little rust i mean i just about have to replace the whole floor, front to back side to side, i guess i got to get under and weld to " frame" too right?

thanks
If its really that bad, might be time to consider getting another unibody, or another XJ. That or use what you have to build a killer offroad only rig....think tube frame...
Buck :canada:

Buck Jackson said:
If its really that bad, might be time to consider getting another unibody, or another XJ. That or use what you have to build a killer offroad only rig....think tube frame...

wouldn't another unibody be another XJ ????? Humm something to ponder :smoker:

I have a crack about 6 inches from the rear on both sides. Can I just weld a piece of metal around it or do I have to do something special to weld on a uni body?

96XJCLASSIC said:
wouldn't another unibody be another XJ ????? Humm something to ponder :smoker:
Sorry, I guess I wasn't specific enough. You could buy another XJ and start from there, or you could go to a wrecker and look for a stripped XJ unibody and switch everything from yours to the new one. If its already stripped, then you can repair any damage properly and easily while you build it up.

I have a similar problem with the floor being rusted out, but mine is only from the frame rails to the outside edge. I went to a reliable local welding shop to see how much it would cost to repair. They gave me an estimate of around $650, if memory serves. So what I am getting at is do you think it is worth it? I am currently a college student, so I dont drive it right now, and I only offroad a few times a year. Thanks in advance, you guys always seem to have the best advice.

Back